Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see advertised for around $200.00 .22 long rifle conversion bolt and mag for ARs.
Cheap way to practice..but the bullet diameter of the 5,56 and .22 magnum are the same but...not the .22 long rifle heeled bullet, right? Also the twist rates are vastly different?
So who owns a conversion and how is the accuracy?

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
Have shot M-16s with a .22LR adapter. Accuracy is.... meh. Rate of twist for .22 LR is ideally about 1-16. M16 is currently 1-7. The .22 LR bullet diameter is 0.223 in (5.7 mm) - 0.2255 in (5.73 mm) . We used the adapters on an indoor 50 ft range with reduced size targets when we could not get to a full sized outdoor range. It was sorta like kissing your cousin. Better than no kiss at all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What I would be concerned with is the 22 Lr. gas going through the gas block and tube, all the way back inside the upper. All that powder residue building up inside the upper.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
Most of the companies recommend that you use plated bullets, and clean the rifle every 150 rounds. yes, you get some gas back in the chamber area. But not a lot- there is not all THAT much gas from a .22LR (compared to a 5.56 round)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I see advertised for around $200.00 .22 long rifle conversion bolt and mag for ARs.
Cheap way to practice..but the bullet diameter of the 5,56 and .22 magnum are the same but...not the .22 long rifle heeled bullet, right? Also the twist rates are vastly different?
So who owns a conversion and how is the accuracy?
22 plinkster has a video with a conversion and there is another guy doing the same and looking at accuracy of various ammo. Accuracy looks pretty good to me on most of the ammo. Putting 5 shots inside a dime in some cases when shooting with a rest. Good enough to kill paper.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I keep looking at the CMMG one. I see specials where they will throw in a couple extra mags . So, the kit with 3 mags total for like $225.
Tempting.
But then i think i would just run it as a dedicated .22 AR... so why not just buy a .22 AR?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I keep looking at the CMMG one. I see specials where they will throw in a couple extra mags . So, the kit with 3 mags total for like $225.
Tempting.
But then i think i would just run it as a dedicated .22 AR... so why not just buy a .22 AR?
Because many people don't want to buy a dedicated .22 AR and already have an AR they don't want to spend the money to shoot with the price of ammo. So converting one for a couple of hundred bucks and being able to find and afford .22lr ammo is a much better idea than buying another gun just to shoot .22lr.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Because many people don't want to buy a dedicated .22 AR and already have an AR they don't want to spend the money to shoot with the price of ammo. So converting one for a couple of hundred bucks and being able to find and afford .22lr ammo is a much better idea than buying another gun just to shoot .22lr.
Yeah... fair enough. Was just my stream of thought... i mean after shipping, tax, etc. Its gonna be, what? $250-$300 once you're all done?
Or like $515 all in for a S&W complete rifle with RDO.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah... fair enough. Was just my stream of thought... i mean after shipping, tax, etc. Its gonna be, what? $250-$300 once you're all done?
Or like $515 all in for a S&W complete rifle with RDO.
$238.68 including shipping and tax for the conversion kit.

Not sure you can get a rifle for that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For the price of a conversation kit s a few hundred more you can have IMO the Cadillac of AR type 22’s. I have two of them and they are by far the most accurate 22 semi-auto I have ever shot. I used one to qualify in the American Marksman competition a few years ago and did quite well with it.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
For the price of a conversation kit s a few hundred more you can have IMO the Cadillac of AR type 22’s. I have two of them and they are by far the most accurate 22 semi-auto I have ever shot. I used one to qualify in the American Marksman competition a few years ago and did quite well with it.

Dang! Only $299... now i am seriously... argh!
😫

1 - 11 of 11 Posts