.22 Long (not long rifle) pistol

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by fsted2a, Mar 15, 2014.

1. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

A friend of mine has a Ruger .22L pistol and he wants a spare mag. I have been searching my suppliers for magazines, and none have anything other than 22LR for semi auto pistols or rifles. Sorry I don't have a pic or any other info. I couldn't find any model number or markings on the pistol to help out. Can anyone on the forum give me any information that can help? Thanks.

2. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

I think it is a long rifle what is the model number ?

3. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Please read my post in it's entirety.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do not think that Ruger has ever made a pistol in caliber .22 Long.

With the exception of the CCI CB Long, and maybe some loadings from Aguila, do not know of anyone loading this cartridge any longer.

HOWEVER- the .22 Long and the .22 LR share the same cartridge case- the LR has a longer, heavier bullet, and a bit more energy. You might want to do some more checking on that pistol before you invest a lot of time in a snipe hunt.

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

The LR round won't fit in the mag; only the 22L. Actually, I have spent some time looking for the ammo, and I am having about the same luck. I don't think anyone is making .22 shorts anymore, either. I suggested the guy get into reloading if he wanted to shoot the gun, as it is going to be difficult to feed it.

6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't reload rimfire, .22 shorts are around but they probably won't feed or cycle in a semi auto

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
    better dead than red

7. mboylan

mboylan New Member

No Ruger pistol was ever made for the 22 long cartridge. There was a factory conversion kit in 22 short made for the Ruger Mark I pistol. I don't think you'll see any firearms chambered for the 22 long only made after the early 1920s.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ruger has never made anything chambered specifically in 22l only. Can't be a ruger. Without pics I doubt we are going to guess.

Its possible someone retrofitted a ruger for that but I'm not aware of any production ruger as such. Bill ruger wasn't known for being a great weapons designer. He generally just copied existing designs and modernized them for the time.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

22 long started fading into the sunset not long after 1900, and
    was pretty much a dead cartridge by WWII. There were not to the
    best of my knowledge ANY firearms in the US chambered ONLY for
    22 Long or 22 Short and Long (no Long Rifle) after WWII.

Sturm Ruger didn't make ANYTHING until 1949.

I suppose it's possible that Ruger made pistols for some obscure
    export market that didn't allow 22 LR, but if they did they didn't
    tell anybody.

If the pistol has no markings--why do you think it's a Ruger??????

Pictures please.:)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

OP, have you tried the Ruger forums?