22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bf109, Nov 7, 2010.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

Can you recommend a subsonic ammo that is quiet for backyard pest control? The regular 22 l.r. ammo is too loud for backyard shooting. Never shot with subsonic ammo.

Is subsonic ammo much quieter than the regular 22 l.r.? How does it compare to the noise made by airgun (i.e. .22 pellets shots)?

I hope there're some quality and quiet subsonic ammos out there. Or, I may have to get an airgun for that purpose.

Thanks.

2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I use CCI CB's...makes about as much noise as a pellet gun.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go get a pack of CCI CB Longs. They have the dimensions of a 22 LR, so they feed easier (by hand in most autoloaders) and are EXTREMELY quiet- I have louder air rifles. The quietest I have tried is the Aguilla Colibri. This is a 20 grain bullet, no powder, small primer. You will hear the firing pin. However, the CB Long has more authority when dealing with possums, coons, etc.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I picked up a box of CB LR Subsonics at Gander for $6.99 the other day. Not quiet enough for normal backyard use but easily half the noise of a regular round. They might be quiet enough depending on how far the neighbors are.

I picked them up to try squirrel hunting.

5. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have a squirrel, chipmunk, rabit over population problem in my yard. I bought a \Crossman Phantom at Walmart for $80 because my Daisys weren't adaquate. I am amazed at the accuracy and power it has. The first time I shot it the noise shocked me but after about a dozen shots it got to an acceptable level. The rodent problem has been soundly addressed. I know there are higher quality air guns but I can't immagine them being much more accurate.

6. bf109

bf109 New Member

Aguilla Colibri 20 grain bullet - what's range?

Thanks all for your inputs. I'll try both and hopefully, they're quiet enough for my neighbors.

Is the Aguilla Colibri powerful enough for 30 yard to 100 yards shot? If it doesn't have any powder in it, what drives the bullet? By the primer?

7. bf109

bf109 New Member

CZ 452 Lux and Aguilla Colibri powderless ammo

Hi, I heard the CZ 452 has an European style tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. Due to the low muzzle velocity of Aguilla Colibri ammo, will the bullet jam inside the barrel? CZ 452 has a 42.6 inch barrel. I was told by CZ that any subsonic ammo is not recommended for CZ 452.

Have anyone shot the Aguilla Colibri 20 grain powderless ammo in a CZ 452 rifle? Or any subsonic ammo in a CZ 452?

Thanks.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Just get some Aguila or CCI .22lr sub sonic ammo and call it a day. Both shoot very well. They both cycle the action on my Model 60 also. When you pull the trigger on a 22" bolt gun, the hammer dropping is louder than the report. A cap gun is louder.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've used the Colibri's and Super Colibri's for years. 30 yards, no problem. Farther than that they fall short.

Extremely accurate. I've used them on lots of rats and a couple of possums. One shot does it every time. And very quiet.

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Back Yard Fun!!

Go with a 22 cal. short. Tape a Nipple from a baby bottlle on the end of the barrel. make sure you have a hole in the nipple. this should do the trick.:)

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

New air rifles have excess oil in them and will be loud until the oil is shot out. Some air rifles are equipped with supressors and they are legal and do work as long as the velocity is subsonic meaning use lead pellets not PBA. The air rifles can be deadly on pests.
    I have used the CB caps in my garage for target shooting and getting a 22 on paper. I have had no complaints so far. I have a good bullet trap. They are louder in a pistol though. There is a really nice suppressed Ruger 10/22 over at the gun shop $$$$.

12. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

42.6" barrel

I don't think you need worry about the ammo, just poke them with the barrel.
    (Overall length is 42.6).

13. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I remember this one time at band camp,
    I saw someone fasten a used water bottle onto a gun & cut the end off & stuffed the bottle with a sponge. Unfortunately anyone (unlicensed) trying anything that causes a gun to become quieter in this manner can receive a 10yr ride in jail & a magical $250,000 fine:(

14. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I got a brick of Hummingbirds a year or so ago.

Cabela's Agulia .22 LR Super Colibri Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

I love it. It wont eject from a semi auto so I only use it in the bolt actions.
    Not speaking from experience here (because I believe that the governments rules on silencers are ultra-respectable), but from what I've been told, if you cut about a one inch circle out of the base of a 20 oz. plastic soda bottle, add no foam to the inside of the bottle; just keep it empty, and wrap enough electrical tape over the end of the barrel that the bottle will push on and hold solid... it's so quiet that you can hear the firing pin hit clearly.
    It's not the strongest ammo by a long shot but will kills squirrels and rabbits at 35 yards with a head shot.

15. bf109

bf109 New Member

Colibri Agulia 20 grain ammo arrived

I just received the Colibri Agulia 20 grain 22 l.r. ammo today and put 5 rounds into the magzine. It won't be pushed in the receiver by the bolt since the bullet is much shorter than the 22 l.r. I'll have to manual feed it. As a result, I won't be able to use the magzine the way it should be. Instead, I can still put 5 rounds into the mag. and after each shot, manually feed the next round. The cartriage will eject without any problems.

I'll go the range tomorrow to test shot the ammo with my CZ 452.

Thanks.

16. richardbrentm

richardbrentm New Member

Be careful with Colibri in rifle's

I use the Colibri's all the time "silent" pest control out of my Winchester 290 and they work very well. My only warning is that occasionally one will get stuck in the barrel and if you shoot again you will get a mess stuck down your barrel. I had a guy at the gun store tell me about someone who had 8 bullets stuck in his barrel before he noticed nothing was going thru! If you have a dud you can generally hear it as a dull thud.
    That is the only problem with them, they are deadly silent for small pests. I wouldn't try shooting anything much bigger than a squirrel or a rabbit though as they really don't have that much weight or velocity.

17. bf109

bf109 New Member

It didn't work with my CZ 452

I shot 5 rounds with my CZ 452 today. None of the bullets hit the target, which is 25 yards away. Two out of 5 bullets got stuck inside the barrel. I used boresnake to clear the barrel everytime I made a shot.

I just didn't work on my CZ 452. Now I'm stuck with 500 rounds of Colibri ammo. Is there any remedy to it? Could I sand the bullet to make it a bit smaller in diameter so that it'll exit the barrel. Or, it's just the primer that is not powerful enough to propel the bullet out of my 24.6 inch barrel. BTW, as I mentioned CZ has a tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. barrels.

Can someone help? Thanks.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Get some Super Colibris. The Colibris are designed for handguns, I believe, but I've shot 3 or 4 bricks through rifles with no problem. The Super Colibris are faster.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

BF- find someone that has a bolt action AMERICAN rifle, and do some horse trading with those 500 rounds. You have a long tight barrel, and the primer only propulsion system runs out of steam before it runs out of barrel. Did you read on the Colibri box the part about not using them in rifles?

20. bf109

bf109 New Member

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I do intend to get a 22 caliber handgun - a Ruger MKIII with 5.5" barrel in a few months and wonder if anyone has ever shot the Colibri with the Ruger. Maybe I can use these ammo with my pistol.