.22 Hornet powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ludwig, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Hello Experts,
    does anybody know which gun powder is used for the .22 Hornet from Winchester type X22H2 ? That are realy tiny round bullets not just short cut sticks or flakes (please see the picture attached).
    You would help me a lot because I want to reload the .22 Hornet and tried already many different gun powders, projectiles, cases and primers.
    good shooting
    Ludwig

Attached Files:

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Many times (perhaps most of the time) the powders used in factory ammo is not available as a canister powder (to us reloaders). Trying to guess can lead to disaster. Just go by the loading book you use and find a load that is accurate in your gun.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

First for some stupid reason that is a 46gr bullet that is not sold for reloading so I am going to assume that the powder is going to be the same thing. You can use Win 296 IF you are shooting a 30 gr bullet. For a 45gr load I would go with Hodgdon Lil'Gun or H110 they are going to give you the best velocity in a 45gr bullet.

With alliant Powder I would go with 2400 or their new 300mp.

Also check out Ramshot powder and VitaVouri powders.

4. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

I've had good results with IMR4227 and 2400 with both 45 and 30 gr. bullets. Play it safe; pressure rises fast in these small cases. good luck!:)

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I tried about every powder combo I could think of for the hornet and finally settled on AA1680. I was ready to pull my hair out looking for an accurate load till I tried AA1680. That rifle instantly went from a 1.25" shooter to a .400-.490" shooter. That don't mean it'll do the same for yours, just that you should try it.

The Hornet is VERY picky on loads. Not only will 1/10 of a grain make a big difference, but also propellants make a huge difference-even among similar burn rates.

6. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

what a shame but thanks anyway, I almost expected that so I have to go to available components here in Australia.
    kind regards
    Ludwig

7. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Thanks a lot, Alliant Powders and the WIN296 are available here
    Ludwig

8. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Thanks a lot but unfortunatelly the IMR4227 is not available in Western Australia

9. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Thanks a lot but Acurate Powder is not available in Western Australia,
    the factory ammo is very good (below 0.5" on 100 meters) but I find it too expensive.

10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I am a True Believer in Hodgdon's Lil Gun! Works very well in my .357Magnum and my .22 Hornet rifle.
    I have just a few loads left from a vendor at our gunshow some years back - shoots like the proverbial laser! It's taken me awhile to figure out all the components he used - .45 grain V-max Molycoated in a Winchester case, I finally decided he used the then-new Lil Gun powder. Not sure on his primer choice yet - I am using Win SR - need to switch to SP to fine tune it. I am close..... so close...... ("Missed it by <that> much!" - Maxwell Smart) :D

His load has given me an honest 3/8" group at 100 yards in my BRNO ZBK110. I am down to a 5/8" group.

11. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Thanks a lot but unfortunatelly Hodgdon Powders are noy available in Western Australia, I have the choice between ADI, Alliant or Vitha Vouri Powders.
    best regards
    Ludwig

12. res45

res45 New Member

Powder Equivalents
    ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide

Back in the day when I owned a Savage 340C 22 Hornet I got excellent results with IMR-4227 and 40 to 45 gr. pills.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  13. K.O.W.

K.O.W. New Member

Hello Ludvig!

Is Vihtavuori very clean burning N-110 (made in Finland) aviable in Western Australia? I like to use it with my .22 Hornet pistol and rifle. :)

14. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

yes, it is, thats what i am using at the moment

15. budman46

budman46 New Member

ludwig

a trick used by many hornet guys to improve accuracy is using small pistol primers.

budman

ignorance is its own reward