.22 handguns for practice?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by fins59, Dec 5, 2011.

1. fins59

fins59 New Member

.22 handguns for practice? Opinions and suggestions on brand or if it's even worthwhile. I currently own a Springfield XD .45.

2. crispy500

crispy500 New Member

You're going to have a hundred different opinions, all the way from Walther P22's to the Beretta Neos to the M&P 22 to the GSG 1911 in .22lr. They're all fine. They shoot. Some people will suggest high-end S&W 41A, but they're a thousand bucks.

But in the end it is still going to come down to the same answer it does in every other .22lr pistol thread.

Ruger Mark II, Mark III or 22/45 or Browning Buck Mark. Starts around $300. Nicely equipped at $500. Infinitely customizable and upgradable.

There ya go. All distilled down to the nitty gritty.

I went Buck Mark. I can share mags between my two. Let's see the Ruger guys do that!

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, they're worthwhile. They're fun and the ammo is cheap.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

3. orangello

orangello New Member

One option to consider would be conversions available for centerfire pistols. I have often lusted after a "kadet kit" for my CZ75b 9mm. There are some 1911 conversions for .22LR and one for one of the SIG pistols too, i bleve. That might make the target training a bit more realistic.

http://xdguys.com/shoppingcart/news.php?newsid=4 May be an option.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I don't think anything south of $1000 will outclass a $300-500 Ruger or Browning.

5. fins59

fins59 New Member

Looking at something physically size wise, that will feel similar to my SA XD. Except of course for the recoil. I have considered the Sig Sauer Mosquito, and I believe Walther makes one.
    I do appreciate all input, just an idea of what I'm thinking of.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Both of those do not have a good track record overall and the slides are pot metal. Some are flawless and other are jammers. Hit and Miss. Stick with the Browning as it is good quality and the grip angle is pretty generic. Some of the fancy grip angles dont feel anything like your main gun. The Ruger 22-45 is a good gun but Ruger assembly is over complicated.

7. crispy500

crispy500 New Member

Browning makes this now:

[​IMG]

BTW, this is NOT a full sized 1911. It has been scaled down.

No idea how it shoots or how it is going to sell.