.22 handgun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Keeegt, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Keeegt

Keeegt New Member

Im gonna buy me a .22 cal handgun and need some advice. Been looking on the walther p22 target but dont know if thats a good choise, its cheap but...
    Any other guns that dont cost so much an still can hit a target in 25+ meters? Prefer the safe look as the p22:)

2. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Ruger SR-22 would be a good choice.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I would get the Ruger SR22 instead of the Walther. The Walthers P22 does not have a good track record. Another good choice would be the S&W M&P 22. The Sig Mosquito is hit or miss also.

4. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Thank you. The m&p22 was the one I wanted, but none of my dealer's distributors had them. Very popular firearm.

5. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

So I got a Sig Sauer 1911-22. It has been a blast to shoot.

6. danolator

danolator New Member

SR22P. Enough said.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I once had a Walther P22. I got rid of it because of the well-commented on issues. Having said that, I love the gun's look, feel & operation. My friend has one & has had better luck than I did. Seems if you keep it clean and use the right ammo, you're OK.

8. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

smith model 41 is the best

9. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

I own a ruger sr22p and its worked great for me, a few failures to load but i belive it was the ammo. Ive put near 1000 rounds through it with very few malfuntions. Simple to break down and clean. Overall great gun and would recomend it to anyone. Although i've shot a few Ruger MarkIII and think they are excellent shooters aswell, but have heard they are hard to field strip and clean.

10. kycol

kycol New Member

I have a Hi-Standard HD Military mine was manufactured in 1947. It is the smoothest most accurate and easiest to disassemble 22 I have ever owned. I don't think you will find anyone who has owned one of the Hi standards made in Conn. that didn't love it. You can still find some of these around from $200 and up.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Try some of the on line dealers. They will have lists of lgs that they can deal with. Gallery of Guns has a couple hundred.
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  12. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Cant go wrong with a ruger. Sr22

13. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

Lot's of great .22lr pistols on the market and if you stick to the established brands they're accurate. Just as important is your ammo for accuracy and reliability. I like Blazers and Minimags.

On the cool factor are the High Standards. Apparently (and who knows for sure?), they were used as silent assassination weapons by OSS agents back in the early days; or so they say.

Ruger Mark .22's also became famously notorious when the controversial, underground book, Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors came out and mentioned the Ruger .22 as an ideal hit-man's close quarters assassination weapon as they are cheap, reliable, and can be effectively suppressed. There's some question on the validity of the author and whether it was just a fabrication.

The Ruger Mark .22's are also used a lot in movies usually posing as an assassin's weapon. Google "Ruger Mark IMFDB".

I have a Ruger and love to shoot it but not so much to clean because it is a biatch to clean since parts have to be meticulously aligned to put back together.

The Buckmark are similar Luger-shaped .22's and also well established.

If you're looking for a modern gun, and have the money, then look into the Sig Sauer P226 Classic 22. You can always convert it later with a 9mm/.40 S&W/ .357Sig conversion kit.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i also have a Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target Model. great gun, very accurate and not real expensive either.

the other suggestions made are also good choices. the Buckmark is a good pistol and definately a good choice. also one of my favorites.

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

There are many good .22 handguns to choose from. Walther is not one of them.:eek:

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Is M&P22 avalable in compact size as in P22?

17. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

It is a full size I do believe,because I was planning to purchase one before I got my sig 1911-22.