.22 Handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TreyH, Jul 16, 2011.

1. TreyH

TreyH New Member

I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns but haven't ever shot handguns with any degree of seriousness. I recently bought a Ruger GP-100 chambered to .357. After a few trips to the range, I realized I should have bought a .22 handgun to go with it so I'm not spending $50 every time I go to the range.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a reliable handgun chambered to .22? I am principally looking for a revolver, but would consider an exceptional automatic. I just want something simple that I can practice fundamentals with and not break the bank. Preferably, I'd like something for less than $500.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Take a look at a Ruger Single Six and welcome here from just up the hill.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Stay with Ruger-
    Get a Single Six :cool:
    Even better find a unconverted old model 3 screw :D

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Hi and welcome to FTF! Please stop by the introductions forum when you get a chance and tell us a little about you.

Ruger Single Six like CA said hands down for a revolver .22. It is single action though and you may not like that.

In semi-automatic you have a LOT of choices. I feel the top two choices are the Ruger Mark series and the Browning Buckmark. I love my buckmark!

Attached Files:

• bsa2.jpg
      bsa2.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Like everyone's already said go with a Ruger Single Six or a Ruger Mark III.

6. P90

P90 New Member

I love my Single-Six .22/.22Mag Convertible.

7. TreyH

TreyH New Member

Thanks all for the posts. I'll check out the Ruger Single Six.

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

You might conSider reloading it costs me about 4 dollaRs a box . So it usually costs me about twenty dollars every time i go shooting. Try to find a range that let's you pick up as much brass as you want.

9. merlin12scuba

merlin12scuba New Member

I have a Ruger Bearcat that is a great example for revolvers and a Sig Mosquito for semi-auto. Both are great shooters and comfortable to handle.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

What's your price range? If you want exceptional try the S&W 617 or Colt Diamondback in 22lr for revolvers.

11. redscho

redscho New Member

Unless you are completely set on .22 revolvers, take a look at the Ruger SR22. One sweet little handgun. If you want to get into a 22 revolver for a reasonable price check your local gun shops for a Hi-Standard Sentinel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This thread is almost a year old.......

The OP hasn't been on FTF since 07-16-11.

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Guess I should have checked. But someone else must have bumped it. :eek:

14. winds-of-change

Yeah, it was bumped. What I think happens is people search for information (which is good) and then start posting to old threads they have searched out without realizing it's an old thread. It's really no big deal. We encourage people to search and that's what their doing. :D

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Seems to happen quite a bit -
    How long do you have to read to find a year old thread :confused:

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I must admit I suggest that search thing A LOT :eek:

17. winds-of-change

Suggesting a search is a good thing. But this will happen on occassion because of that. I don't think it's a big deal, really. It's just kind of funny to see people posting suggestions to people who are long gone. :D

18. Clem

Clem Member

You don't say whether you got a 4" or 6" GP100. A good surrogate .22 would probably have the same barrel length as the primary gun. With a new GP100, a good surrogate in .22 would be a S&W 617 with barrel length the same as the GP100. The new 4” Ruger SP101 may also be a good candidate for a 4” GP100. Among older guns, the best would be a S&W 17 (6”) or 18 (4”). As a surrogate for a double action gun, I wouldn’t be inclined to get a single action.

19. twobilly

twobilly New Member

For a good but inexpensive revolverI have found the Heritage RoughRider 22/22mag to be a good single action revolver

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012