Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking since most people don't use .22's for deer, what are some kind of game that you do use .22's on?

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Yep small game. Poachers use .22's on deer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
22cal size game

I think a good rule of thumb, is don't use a 22 on anything bigger 35- 40 pounds

·
Registered
21 Posts
Scoped 22

I use my Cooey model 60 with a 4x scope for Sharptails and Grouse all the time makes it a little more challenging than the 12ga

·
Registered
20 Posts

Like using my .22 for rabbits, or grouse. Head shots only with a 3-9x scope on my 10/22 Rugger. This way it keeps my eye tunned-up, "and if I miss", well good for them then they get to live another day!

·
Administrator
26,748 Posts
Groundhogs (woodchucks to y'all Yankees) out to 150. Beyond that, I'll get the .220 Swift.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Squirrels, rabbits, crows, coons, any small that is legal take with a rifle.
Well said Tilt I think you covered just about everything :cool::cool:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
At close range, meaning 50-75 yds max. At that range you could make a head shot, and with a head shot even a deer would drop....

·
Registered
962 Posts
nice to c more juggalos out there huntin glad im not the only 1

·
Registered
146 Posts
I user a .22 for rodents and other varmints. I especially like to use them for cottontails I plan on putting on the dinner table. Head shots with a .22 on a cottontail are preferred by me since there is no meat damage and cleaner than shooting with a shotgun (I've hunted them with a 12 guage too.). I hate biting into small lead pellets when enjoying my rabbit frickassee!!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
i agree there. i used a shotgun one time for squirrel and all it took was that one bite on lead. i like head shots, if i miss then they have a chance to live again, unless there stupid and dont move:D nothing like a 50 yrd headshot to make that meat taste better

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Wouldn't count on deer dropping to a head shot with a .22 at 75 yds. Have you done it? Might be disappointed...
I know a guy that does it all the time. He's a straight shooting old man.:eek:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a deer feeder that I run year round for hogs, but lately I have had more coons than anything. Last night I was up in the stand, watched two bucks walk away from the feeder, and out popped the coons. I was able to thin the heard some what.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Wouldn't count on deer dropping to a head shot with a .22 at 75 yds. Have you done it? Might be disappointed...
I'm sure everyone's heard the statistic about more deer being taken with a .22lr than any other cartridge....where do you THINK they're being shot? In the heart?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts