.22 for my son

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mike5150, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

Hi there. I'd like to get a .22 pistol for my 10 year old son. He enjoys going to the range with us, and does very well with our .22 rifle, but the 9mm is a bit too much for him. Any recommendations for a nice reliable but affordable .22 hand gun that would suit a 10 year old would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Mike

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Where to start?

Ruger Mk 2 or Mk 3 are always good choices.
    Ruger SR22
    Smith & Wesson M&P 22
    Browning Buckmark
    Beretta NEOS

Personally, I have a S&W model 17 revolver; but that would be a little pricey for a 10 year old I would think.

Ruger SP101 .22 might be a better choice if you wanted to go the revolver route. I wouldn't recommend the the .22 LCR due to it's very short sight radius which makes for much more difficult shooting.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

3. kycol

kycol New Member

All those are fine pistols but I'm not too sure bout fitting the hands of 10 year old boy.if he was as big as I was at 10 then they would be fine my first was a hd military hi standard. But the small 22 Taurus p22 might be a good fit, and with the flip up barrel he wouldn't need the strength to rack the first round

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

How long has he been shooting rifles? The only reason I ask is that in my mind, 10 years is awfully young for someone to have their own dedicated pistol. My old man made me practice and become proficient and safe with a rifle for several years before I was even allowed to shoot one of his 22 pistols. Accidents can happen a lot quicker with a pistol. And even then, he would never buy a pistol for me. To this day, he's bought me many different rifles, but he's never bought a pistol for me. He says pistols are simply too dangerous and he wouldn't be able to live with himself if an accident happened with a pistol that he had bought for me. Just some food for thought...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. ScottA

I would bet the Ruger Mk's and the SR22 would fit with no problems.

6. kycol

kycol New Member

That is another good point for the Taurus until he gets proficient don't load the clip, just use the flip up barrel as a single shot

7. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Look at a Ruger Single Six. You have to cock the hammer back manually every time so it is hard to get into trouble. It was my first handgun (I was 17 at the time).

8. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

He's been shooting Rifles for about 2 years, and he's very responsible. I would say he is average to small compared to other kids his age. I wouldn't say he's a big kid by any stretch. I personally feel that if we are going to have guns in the house, I want him to be proficient and knowledgeable about all the responsibilities that go along with it. I don't really want there to be any mystery to guns for him. I want him to know exactly how dangerous they can be if mishandled which is why we encourage him to shoot everything we own, and we stress safety at every step. This next bit is a bit off topic, but it's a very proud moment for me. Last time we took him to the range was the first time we let him shoot our 9mm. He was doing very well, but all of a sudden we saw his eyes widen and he slowly set the gun down on the counter facing down range and backed away before swiping at his neck. A hot bullet casing ejected and landed inside the collar of his sweatshirt and burned him enough to leave a mark for several days. Instead of dropping the gun or even worse waving it around erratically my 9 year old boy took the time to safely set the gun on the counter and back away from it before freaking out :)

Thanks again for all the advice, this gives me a great place to start. Price is definitely an issue, but most importantly I want a reliable gun for him, and hopefully something that he is proud to pass on to his son when the time comes. His first rifle was a savage 64, and it jammed after every other bullet it seemed. It was a complete waste of money, and I'd like to avoid having that happen again.

Mike

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Surprised

10 years old? A pistol!? My Scotch is older than that. He may be responsible for a Grammar School student but I can't say a parent giving their Tween one is. I'd recommend...

...you give him one as a High School graduation gift (presuming it's legal then and there).

10. ScottA

It all depends upon the kid.

For example, I would have trusted my younger sister's kids at 8 with any firearm. I'm not sure I would trust my older sister's kids at 16 with much.

11. kdog

kdog New Member

Haver a look at the Walther P22.

It`s a cute and small semi auto pistol, that looks like a gun, but is pretty small in dimensions. The grip is very small and should fit the hands of a 10 year old pretty well.

I tried the P22 and didn`t do very well with it, because the grip is far to small for me, and I have small hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P22

12. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

I don't see the harm in teaching children responsibility for firearms at a young age assuming they are young enough to take it seriously and smart enough to follow all the rules. I should also point out that we call it his, but the gun stays locked in our gun safe unless we are going to the range to fire it. It's not like the kid keeps it loaded next to his night stand.

Mike

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I received my first pistol about that age, a .22 Lightning by AMT, basically a knock-off of one of the Ruger Marks. In retrospect, something easier to break down for cleaning might have been better. Course, i still have it.

14. oli700

oli700 New Member

I got a Ruger single six around that age, good for learning the fundamentals

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I assume you meant semi-auto since you stated pistol. So with that said, the two choices that I would recommend is the Ruger MK series pistols and the Browning Bench Mark. Also if you can find an older Hi-Standard Target Pistol for a fair price in good condition they are somewhat collectors items at this time and might be a great investment for him in the future. Wish I had my High Standard Victor back although I do have a Bench Mark that I really like at the present.

If Single Action the Ruger Single Six is a good choice.
    I think a double action revolver might be a little much for him at this point so I will not list them.

Good luck and you are to be commended for teaching him to be safe to shoot and to love the shooting sport! GOOD JOB DAD!:D

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Stay far far away from the Taurus PT22 :(

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Here Here :)

18. historydoc

historydoc New Member

Ruger single six or mark iii

19. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

All my boys(four of'm)started around that age,maybe a year or so earlier with.....A Colt Diamondback in .38 special.Shooting nice low level wadcutters.I know most folks recomend .22's,and I sort of agree........But alot of it depends on the mindset of the instructor as well as the student.My boys all got very familiar with the DB....to the point of them loading their own ammo.They all then moved up to 1911's,again with low level ammo when it was time for semi instruction.

It wasn't until years later that they discover'd .22s.Looking back....and wouldn't change a thing....I think the biggest part of their instruction was about recoil "management"

.22's....and this is just an opinion....start the shooter with the idea or notion that there isn't any recoil.I felt then and depending on the student,still do...that learning to enjoy recoil,taming it,managing it should be one of the early lessons.This HAS to be done with low level fodder.Anyone that handles big kickers early in their experience is going to have a tough row to hoe later.Just food for thought...good luck with your decision.

All these years later,the boys are about split....some prefer revolvers,others swear by the 1911's.None of them like hard kickers......they love the medium level stuff.And are sort of just OK with .22's.Shopnut.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Teaching a kid is important and letting them try your handgun may be fine. I'm thinking the kid here will, in fact, be handed a handgun to keep in his toybox. Interesting perspective, but remember: that 16 year old was once a cute, bright, responsible 8 year old!