.22 for Foxes

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SgtStrafer, Jul 17, 2007.

1. SgtStrafer

SgtStrafer New Member

I am getting a .22 and was wondering if it is powerful enough for foxes at approximately 60 yards away? What would be better a .22-250 or a .243?

2. Bidah

Bidah New Member

For me a Fox would be a bit large for a .22LR. I would not have a problem with my .17HMR, and have taken Coyotes with it, although I am not planning on doing it again.

For 60yd shots, .223 and up will work just fine. If you have a .308/.30-06, you can load up some 110gr varmit bullets and do a dandy job. What other rifles do you have that might work?

Next choice for me would be .243, but then I have shot LOTS of coyotes with that. Very versatile caliber with lots of load choices.

3. Bear_Down

Bear_Down New Member

An adult fox weighs it at what 25Lb's. A .22 at 60 yards sure it will work as long as you're shot placement is good. I shoot coyote's at 100 with my .22.
    But I do like the 223.

4. my21SF

my21SF New Member

.22 or .17

are you doing anything with the pelts? if you sell them head shots are best,if your gun is capable aim for the ear hole...a good winter pelt in good shape is worth $40.00 maybe more depending on your area.(make sure u have a permit) good luck

5. Spetznatz

Spetznatz New Member

Buy yourself a cheap SKS the 30 caliber round will be sure to take him down. Then you will have a yourself another rifle to plink with.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Without getting into wildcats, I would say the .17 Rem. or the new .17-221 would be the best and fur friendlyest. With a .22 rimfire you`ll put good shots on alot of them only to see them run off and die some where that you can`t find them.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The .22 will work at close range just fine. If you want to reach out with more range and authority,get a .22 mag or .22 hornet. Both of my hornets,I rechambered to .22 K hornet. Better accuracy,longer case life,velocities approching .222,easier to find load for-in short-what the hornet should have been in the first place.

8. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

22cal on fox

It will work, at 60 yards you should use a 40 grain bullet, a solid to get penetration at that distance, but shot placement is everything!!! personaly I like the .204 Ruger it will give you the range you need, Foxes and dogs are very spooky criters and hardly ever offer a close shot, most I have delt with were well over a hundred yards.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Rickrem-the ONLY place that should even be considered to shoot for with a .22lr "solid" point is a head or neck shot-brain or spine shot.

10. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

.22 LR on Foxes

I agree, I am a head shot guy when ever possible, I should have been more clear when I said shot placement is everything!!!

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

AS far as .22 terminal ballsitics go, here is data from a Dec.96 Guns & Ammo Article entitled "Street Stoppers" wherein terminal ballistics data for 11 calibers of handgun ammo were analyzed. For the .22 lr it says:

12. Righteous

Righteous New Member

the .17 cal is not new and has been around for many many years and was used overseas by pelt hunters because of the small hole it makes and wont ruin the pelt

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

.22 LR can kill almost any game at short ranges under 100 yds...more deer have been taken with 22 LR than any other ammo. I don't suggest being an idiot and shooting a deer in the head with a .22, but it's been done more than anyone cares to admit!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008