Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a .22 and was wondering if it is powerful enough for foxes at approximately 60 yards away? What would be better a .22-250 or a .243?

·
Registered
212 Posts
For me a Fox would be a bit large for a .22LR. I would not have a problem with my .17HMR, and have taken Coyotes with it, although I am not planning on doing it again.

For 60yd shots, .223 and up will work just fine. If you have a .308/.30-06, you can load up some 110gr varmit bullets and do a dandy job. What other rifles do you have that might work?

Next choice for me would be .243, but then I have shot LOTS of coyotes with that. Very versatile caliber with lots of load choices.

·
Registered
41 Posts
An adult fox weighs it at what 25Lb's. A .22 at 60 yards sure it will work as long as you're shot placement is good. I shoot coyote's at 100 with my .22.
But I do like the 223.

·
Registered
7 Posts
.22 or .17

are you doing anything with the pelts? if you sell them head shots are best,if your gun is capable aim for the ear hole...a good winter pelt in good shape is worth $40.00 maybe more depending on your area.(make sure u have a permit) good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy yourself a cheap SKS the 30 caliber round will be sure to take him down. Then you will have a yourself another rifle to plink with.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Without getting into wildcats, I would say the .17 Rem. or the new .17-221 would be the best and fur friendlyest. With a .22 rimfire you`ll put good shots on alot of them only to see them run off and die some where that you can`t find them.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

The .22 will work at close range just fine. If you want to reach out with more range and authority,get a .22 mag or .22 hornet. Both of my hornets,I rechambered to .22 K hornet. Better accuracy,longer case life,velocities approching .222,easier to find load for-in short-what the hornet should have been in the first place.

·
Registered
225 Posts
22cal on fox

It will work, at 60 yards you should use a 40 grain bullet, a solid to get penetration at that distance, but shot placement is everything!!! personaly I like the .204 Ruger it will give you the range you need, Foxes and dogs are very spooky criters and hardly ever offer a close shot, most I have delt with were well over a hundred yards.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

Rickrem-the ONLY place that should even be considered to shoot for with a .22lr "solid" point is a head or neck shot-brain or spine shot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
.22 LR on Foxes

I agree, I am a head shot guy when ever possible, I should have been more clear when I said shot placement is everything!!!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
AS far as .22 terminal ballsitics go, here is data from a Dec.96 Guns & Ammo Article entitled "Street Stoppers" wherein terminal ballistics data for 11 calibers of handgun ammo were analyzed. For the .22 lr it says:
"The most effective .22 lr load is the same load that started the trend to high velocity hollowpoints decades ago: the CCI 32 grain Stinger. The 32 gr Stinger is advertised at 1,500fps from a rifle, but it still reaches 1,255fps from a handgun. Surprisingly, it does not expand at these velocities. Instead, it tumbles base-over-nose to a depth of 9.8" in ballistics gelatin. The average adult male torso is 9.4" thick front to back. The Stinger produces enough penetration for the frontal upper torso shot. The other "hyper velocity" rimfires like the Remington 33 grain Yellow Jacket perform in ordinance gel just like the CCI 32 gr. Stinger. For years ammo experts have been saying the .22lr does not have enough power to stop hostilities instantly. Now we know the best 22 rimfire load is successful just one time out of three attempts. Based on 395 shootings, the Stinger has a 34% one-shot stop.
Second place in the 22 lr caliber are the 36 to 37gr. lead hollowpoints. In actual shootings, these "high velocity" lead hollowpoints are just 29% effective. The original 40 gr. roundnose lead has the dubious honor of being the least effective of the known defensive handgun loads. This classic RNL plinker is just 21% effective with one torso shot".

·
Registered
573 Posts
the .17 cal is not new and has been around for many many years and was used overseas by pelt hunters because of the small hole it makes and wont ruin the pelt

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
.22 LR can kill almost any game at short ranges under 100 yds...more deer have been taken with 22 LR than any other ammo. I don't suggest being an idiot and shooting a deer in the head with a .22, but it's been done more than anyone cares to admit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts