.22 for concealed carry

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mchldelf, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mchldelf

mchldelf New Member

Thoughts ? I have many female friends that carry a .22 pistol for self-defense . I'm considering getting one for my wife. She has some wrist issues and I figured the low recoil would help. The question it's which one? Walther P22 seams to be a good choice.

2. MilProAkron

MilProAkron New Member

The Walther seems like a nice compact package. Beretta makes some compact ones as well. Some of my issues with .22 pistols is that many are too large for their caliber because they are meant for target shooting, not concealment.

You'll probably hear a lot of people saying "nobody carries a 22..." blah blah blah lol. Any gun is better than no gun.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'd have you look at a .25 acp (or better yet, a .32 acp.)
    With the .25 at least, you have a cartridge that was designed with semi auto use in mind, thus much more likely to function reliably. Also, I'm no ballistics expert, but I suspect that the .25 may have a slight performance advantage out of a short little barrel.
    Check the .32 as well, it's not exactly a punishing cartridge and will be superior to either of your smaller options.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

North American arms they make tiny. 22 revolvers.

5. mchldelf

mchldelf New Member

All great points, but I also want a gun that is cheap for her to shoot.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If a pit-bull sized dog was coming at you, would you feel confident with the .22 to put the dog down?
    If a 160# wild pig was coming at you, would you feel confident with the .22 to put the pig down?

If the answer is "No", then why are you confident that the .22 will stop the worse two legged animal?

7. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

I would only carry .22 for self defense in a revolver due to the chance for a misfire.

Wth a semi auto, you'd have to clear the weapon to continue shooting. With a revolver, you could continue firing merely by continuing to squeeze the trigger.

.22 Mag over .22 LR.

eldar

8. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I understand but if her life depends on the caliber of weapon wouldn't you want something proven to stop an assailant?

9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Check out the Bersa Thunder in .22 LR. Gets solid reviews and is more reliable than the Walther.

Avoid the Walther and SIG .22's for personal defense. These are actually made 3rd party by a company called Umarex and have spotty reviews. Fine guns for plinking but not guns I would rely on.

If the Walther P22 size is good, check out the Ruger SR22. Can be found for the same price or cheaper and is also well reviewed. For concealed carry I would personally prefer the Bersa.

.25 ACP may not be cheap, but it is more reliable than .22 LR. That is the other issue. The best .22 auto will still have a problem with bad ammo. I would recommend CCI Mini-Mags exclusively if you're using an automatic.

Another recommendation is to check out some 9 shot compact revolvers. Harder to reload but if you come across a bad round you can just pull the trigger again. If you have a misfire due to a bad round in an auto it could cost you.

I would HIGHLY recommend a .32 ACP. Only because of the wrist issues, typically I would recommend higher. I get that cost is an issue but for self defense I think you should always chamber the biggest round you can carry.

10. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

They used to issue a .22 here for personal protection.

Attached Files:

11. orangello

orangello New Member

If she has "wrist issues" that may cause shooting to be uncomfortable, how much do you think she will really run through the pistol? Get her to compare a little .22LR to a .380 in a Bersa Thunder; she might go for the bigger round when she sees & feels the difference in firing them.

If all she can handle is the .22LR, let her know it is fair to aim for the eyes and testicles.

Maybe some of those gel-padded shooting gloves would help her? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2528333511/hatch-ksg500-shooting-gloves-leather-and-kevlar

12. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

Every person of the female pursuasion that I have taught marksmanship to instinctively knew where to place their rounds when presented with their first silhouette target...

eldar

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The caliber one shoots best is the best for them I've said a million times. Though I also say at least as often that when looking at a personal defense weapon it's the wrong time to look at cost over effectiveness.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Avoid the Walther P22. Too many issues. The Ruger SR22 is almost identical without the issues. Use 40 solids not HP. Better penetration and reliability. You will always find some people that will swear by their P22 but I have always sworn at them. I am not a Taurus fan but their little PT22 is OK if you need very small. Load only 8 rounds in the mag and it has a tip barrel to load the first round. Double strike capability. Mine broke after 19 years of heavy use and Taurus replaced it. Do not load any Stingers or similar in the Taurus. This link will give you an idea of how 22lr performs in a short barrel.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
    If you decide to go heavier, look at the Sig P238 in 380. It is a pleasure to shoot unlike the other mouse guns.The slide is easier to rack if you cock the hammer first. She will have to train on the safety.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are far more reliable rounds out of a pistol than 22lr, and that amounts to every bit as much of a "performance" issue as the lack of size/ballistics/power. But a reliable 22lr pistol with reliable ammunition (CCI) isn't necessary a bad option. In fact I think it can be a solid choice under the right circumstances, which might include your wife.

Check out the Ruger SR22. It's darn near identical to the Walther, but I believe it costs a bit less. Mags are also a bit more affordable and easier to find. I helped my mother shop for her first pistol and that's what we chose. It's very compact, fits small hands well, accurate, and a highly functional gun. To this point I have seen zero failures even with bulk ammo. And the gun runs about $300, with very light, compact, and affordable rail mounted lasers available if desired. I bought mom a Crimson Trace for Christmas...$110.

FWIW- The dealer we bought the SR22 from told us they'd stopped carrying the Walther P22 altogether because the SR22 was so similar, but more desireable (USA made, lower cost, brand loyalty, etc).

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yeah, but British criminal are cupcakes! :D

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Have her try a couple of lower calibers. Rimfire simply is not reliable enough for self defense, especially out of a semiautomatic. I'd seriously invest some range time with the 25acp or 32acp. I think she'll find the 380acp too snappy for a bad wrist, but these are quite reasonable recoil rounds.

Also keep in mind that size of fun makes a huge difference in felt recoil. So too decide how large of a handgun she's willing to carry. I think you'll find a nice Bauer 25acp to fit the bill nicely.