.22 double action revolver advise

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jeepfxr, May 4, 2011.

1. jeepfxr

jeepfxr Member

Hi Guys, I want to get a .22 double action revolver for a plinker and would like to hear what you have or would recommend.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends a lot on the caliber of your wallet. S&W and Colt have beautiful, wonderful, LOVELY DA revolvers- they only sell for a little more than I paid for my first car. :eek:

Just for grins and giggles- shop around. Harrington & Richardson made some fairly snazzy top break target revolvers, and they do not seem to have the cult collector following that drives up the price of Colt/ S&W. I have a pre- WW II 9-shot H&R .22 Special that is a ball to shoot. They HAVE been out of production for a while, but the are out there- along with the 900 series revolvers.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My vote is on the Taurus.

4. fudo

fudo New Member

I like the Charter Arms Pathfinder.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Smith & Wesson model 17... hands down. 617 works as well.

6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

If it has to be a revolver, go with an S&W 617. I'm sure NGIB will be along shortly to post that picture of his that makes me so painfully jealous...

7. steve666

steve666 New Member

$$$$$ - S&W 17/617:
    [​IMG]

$$$ - Taurus 94:
    [​IMG]

$ - Charter Arms Pathfinder:

[​IMG]

8. jeepfxr

jeepfxr Member

Thanks guys for the input. With a .22 caliber wallet I'm going to check out the Taurus

9. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Im quite partial to my S&W model 34-1. I think the model 63 is the nickel version and may be still in production. Not sure if the 63 is aluminum or steel framed though...

10. jeepfxr

jeepfxr Member

Thanks Biohazurd for the info. Big gunshow in Toledo OH this weekend. I'll see what I can find

11. masterblasterk22

masterblasterk22 New Member

I vote for the Smith & Wesson Model 617

If you get a Smith & Wesson Model 617 10 shot 22 revolver you wont be sorry but get a speedloader from Speed Beez it makes the 10 shot easy to load! I found mine at Amazon.com I think they have a website at speedbeez.com plus get the largest loading block you can afford your be glad you did. My recommendation a 617, a Speed Bee, a loading block, and a brick of ammo it will put a grin on you from ear to ear.

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I'd actually like to get my hands on a H&R topbreak 22lr. Trade you for a 38s&w topbreak H&R :D How about it c3?

If you do run across an old 22lr revolver that looks to be in good condition dont be afraid to give it a try, I've run across several that with a little hand work and polishing they can wonderful shooters. Personaly my vote is for the Taurus.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I gotta get me some of those. Thanks for the site.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I have a 7 shot Taurus Tracker.It has been a very good pistol.They also come in a 9 shot version.

15. headhunter

headhunter Member

A heavy duty choice ? I'd love a 617 Smith.. For a "carry- it- along-all day" gun, I've yet to find anything better than a Smith 63. I've found the all SS to be unbelievably accurate and after a little work the triggers can be smooth and light. I expect that they are presently a little more expensive than the $217 I paid for mine new (sorta ages me). I liked mine well enough I purchase one for my eldest daughter when she graduated.
    Faults? Tight chambers mean a little more frequent cleaning and the factory wood grips were too small.
    Owner satisfaction - it will be one of the very last firearms to leave this house!

16. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

An H&R 999 Sportsman is a great .22 and still pretty reasonable but they are going up.

17. freefall

freefall New Member

Taurus 94 4" is light and accurate.