.22 Conversion vs. Dedicated

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Shihan, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Is it worth spending $150 for a conversion kit for the AR or should I just get a dedicated .22 Platform for approx. $400?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Anyone with experience on either?

2. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

After having both I like the dedicated upper. You will have the proper 1-16 twist barrel, no worries about fouling your gas system, better accuracy. But then youll want to build a lower for it and theres another $250. My CMMG bolt conversion did work well and could get around 1'' groups at 25 yards with the right ammo.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You can get a Colt M4-styled .22lr AR platform for, like, $500 at Big-5. The most recent issue of the NRA magazine American Rifleman (which anyone can read online) reviewed the new lineup of popular .22 "tactical" rifles.

4. russ

russ New Member

I have a CMMG M4 profile dedicated upper that works with a mil-spec lower. I paid $325 for it without any magazines. So you're looking at roughly double what the drop-in conversion costs. In my case, I had an extra complete lower laying around (don't ask) and it made sense at the time. But, in the black friday ads I saw either Cabela's or Sportsman's advertising the Sig 522 with an extra 20" target barrel for just over $400. If I didn't already have my setup, I'd have been on that like a fat kid on cake. My dad has the S&W M&P 15-22 and it is nice. It's light since the upper and lower are composite, but it's definitely ammo picky where my CMMG is not. But for around $400 you get a complete rifle.

Really there are tons of .22lr options out there right now. CMMG is making a bunch of different configurations of dedicated uppers and complete rifles. I wish I'd waited a little longer on mine as they just came out with a 20" government profile that looks cool as the backside of your pillow.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

Gub'mint profile:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

6. russ

russ New Member

I'm a big fan of CMMG, and I make no attempt to hide it. All of my lowers on all four AR's are from CMMG. The Spike's and ATI dedicated uppers are way more expensive than the CMMG stuff, and I don't really know why. I've also heard some unhappy reviews of the Colt/Umarex .22 stuff, but have no first hand experience. So far my CMMG upper has been perfect, the only issue was mag related when I tried to over-load the mag and it didn't feed correctly. As soon as I figured out what the problem was, it has been fine. Fit and finish is on par with their full caliber AR stuff, no short cuts just because it's a .22. I don't know what else to say, do you have a specific question about it mjkeat?

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I had actually intended on using the engraved lower for just that - as a dedicated .22lr. But now I've got an idea kicking around my head and my .22lr plans have taken a whole new direction. ;)

I had thought about getting one of the conversions but ultimately settled against it. I figured when all the costs were added up a dedicated AR in .22lr was not so much more that I couldn't afford it.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Dedicated, hands down!

And get it with a pink Ergo grip like my daughter's Colt Operator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

There were teething problems with the first Colt and S&W .22LR AR lookalikes but that shouldn't be a problem anymore. My Colt (actually made by Walther) M4 .22 shoots great and I hear the same goes for S&W. I'm very happy with the Colt plus it looks a lot like a real M4. Same weight too.

Seems like there's a lot of hate for the Colt but people who actually have them tend to love them. I'm keeping mine.

Umarex is the importer and their customer support is quite good. They sent me a taller front sight post that I needed when putting on a milspec height rear sight - for free.

Bet your daughter loves hers, Cane! Nice upgrade!

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Is it finicky about ammo?

I may have recieved biased information. Thats unfortunate because I really liked the looks of the Colt.

11. russ

russ New Member

Not so far. I've only fed it CCI Blazer and Federal bulk pack stuff. But it ate both of those happily.

FWIW, my dad's M&P15-22 is a first gen and it is ammo picky, but he also has the 15-22 pistol now, and it seems less finicky about what it eats. Plus it's a flat-out blast to shoot.:D

12. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Heres the Nordic Components NC-22. Its fairly new on the market and so far is working great.NC22
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thank you. My next purchase will probably be a 22 conversion for my 1911. Im all about shooting more for less :cool:

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My daughter and I have run ~2K of various brands and velocities. With the exception of the usual Remington issues (I don't know how they can still sell that crap!) the Colt has run just fine.

I do find if we use the 10 rnd mags we tend to save ammo. Something about running 10-15 rnds out of the 30 and then wanting to "open 'er up" really results in you opening up the wallet!

I really recommend a dedicated rimfire AR. I don't like the idea of running a lubed lead bullet past my gas port on my 6940.

[​IMG]

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

My research over the last few weeks has led me to the conclusion that the Remington .22 stuff isnt desirable for the application.

Fortunately/Unfortunately the RO at the state ran range I shoot at is a real stickler for the 3-4 seconds b/w rounds rule.

I wasnt real sure I wanted to run a conversion kit through any of my uppers either. Although I dont own any KAC uppers the ones I do are all high end. I cant/dont want to take any chances. For some reason that mythical money tree has yet to be discovered in my backyard :(

The financial aspect to shooting 5.56 was a real selling point when talking to the wife about ordering the dedicated .22 upper. I simply showed her a box of 550 .22s and explained that 500 rounds of 5.56 would cost roughly $200 as compared to $20-$30. Though the upper ran just over $300 the start up costs would quickly be recouped in the matter of months. Dedicated upper in the mail. Woot woot :D

16. russ

russ New Member

Consider dedicated there too. I have the GSG M1911 and it is awesome. I paid $295 for mine, not much more at all than the Kimber .22lr conversion.

Just trying to help you spend money.:D

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1, I got mine for $302! This is the BEST 22lr pistol I have ever shot!

Can't wait to get the can for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Makes perfect since.

What do you two think about your 1911 .22s?

19. russ

russ New Member

It is sweet. Feels just like my .45, you can only tell a minor difference in weight when both have full mags, trigger feel is the same. The slide spring is much lighter, but I assume it would be in a conversion as well.
    My only gripe is the price ($30) and availability (only found them at AIM Surplus) of extra mags. But the price on mags for my Buckmark is just as bad.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

But think about the savings b/w .22 and .45. Still worth it. Im going to look into it right now. Thank you for the info.