.22 coming back?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by deg, Feb 15, 2014.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I stowed a box with 1,600 mini mags in my closet. I needed a box to store my sabots in. I went into the closet to get the "box" out. Damn, this box is heavy. I opened it and voila, 1600 mini mags packed away. I vaguely remembered buying the mini mags as I was hunting another box for my sabots.

Lately I have been looking for CCI standard velocity to rebuild my inventory. Auto match is only a little better than just cheap bulk ammo. The velocity sweet spot for a 22LR is 1050fps, not 1200 fps.

Mini mags are great hunting and SD ammo. A solid mini mag will go into a dumpster.

The bullet lube is in good condition on the mini mags. I checked an open box. I know the sealed boxes are in good shape.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Most places have been charging $50/brick for CCI SV. I last paid $285 for a case in 2012. Most CCI ammo has gone up by a much smaller percentage. I have been getting midrange European match ammo for only a few bucks more a brick than it costs now and it groups much much better on a consistent basis. It has also been more readily available.

At $25-$30/brick CCI SV was my go to ammo for plinking and general practice. At $40-$50/brick I would rather spend a few bucks more for something much more accurate.

I am finding Mini-Mags at close to pre-panic prices when I do find them.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

3. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

My wife and I had a Good Score last week, and today as well.

Stopped by Dick's last week, and they had Rem 22LR Bulk 500(?) Round Boxes, Armscor 22LR Bulk 500 Round Boxes, CCI 22LR Bulk 300 Round Boxes, and Fed 22LR 325 Round Boxes.

My wife and I each picked up a Box of the Armscor at $29.95 a Box, and I was over at Target the next day, and stopped in at Dick's again, and they had 1 Box of the Armscor left. Got it too!

Stopped in at Walley World today, and they had 1 Box of Win M22 1,000 Round Box left, and I picked it up for $49.95. It needed a New Home!

Family and I are heading out Thursday for a Good Range Day, with a Ruger MKIII, Marlin 60, GSG's MP40-22 & STG44-22, and Ruger SR22. Gonna work out some Stress and have some FUN!

Cheers!

BB

4. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Never ever thought the humble .22 would ever go away in the 1st place.
    It is probably THE most popular calibre in the world that has taught kids to shoot and men to act like kids with 1 trying to shoot bottle caps at ridiculous ranges and in the meantime producing some excellent marksmen and women and probably responsible for starting snipers off at an early age and of course we can't forget Bobby Lee Swaggert's effort with a .22 in a boat on a lake at 200yds either.:D

.22 ammo in Australia is reasonably cheap and you can buy Remington's "Bucket of Bullets" which is 1400 rounds of 40gn(I think) ammo for $90 in a plastic bucket with a lid but the best way to buy ammo is in bulk as in a brick which obviously brings the unit price down a fair bit.

.22 magnum ammo is dearer and around $180 will get you a brick of 500.

5. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So, I bought that S&W wheel Sunday in .22 mag. Ran down to Bass Pro this afternoon and they had plenty of .22 mag ammo. Bought a box of 200, CCI MAXI-MAG WMR, a 50 Rd box of CCI MAXI-MAG .22 WMR HP, and a 50 Rd box of CCI MAXI-MAG, .22 WMR HP+V.

What's the +V - varmint? Just a little better quality?

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Went to gun show in Lima oh yesterday. Federal bricks were $60, CCI 100 count minimags were $20. :rolleyes::mad:

7. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

i'll keep my comments to myself about those prices being about twice what they should be so i don't get anymore nastygrams from the flamers!:mad:

8. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Screw them. Those are the people keeping the gougers in business. They are much worse than the gougers because they set the market too high.

...and no I have not bought American made ammo since 2012. I have over 15,000 rounds collected over the last 30 years. I have been shooting my CZs and Anschutz with replaceable match ammo for the most part.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Well, those are the folks making it difficult to enjoy shooting, so don't pay their prices.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have bought plenty of ammo from them previously. I was not going to pay those prices.

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Recent pellet prices:

Recent pellet prices:

Competition - H&N Finale Match Pistol .177 Cal, 7.56 Grains, Wadcutter, 500ct. $16.25

Small game/target practice - JSB Match Diabolo Exact Jumbo Monster .22 Cal, 25.39 Grains, Domed, 200ct. $8.99

Not so small game - Eun Jin .25 Cal, 43.2 Grains, Pointed, 83ct. $7.99

Bigger game - Air Venturi .50 Cal, 200 Grains, Round Nose, Steel Tip, 50ct. $27.95

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I got 400 rounds of CCI choot em 40 gr 22 wmr ammo for $90 shipping included. That is the least I have paid for 22 mag ammo since I got the marlin 2 1/2 years ago.

I would have bought a case of Choot em but the marlin is ammo sensitive. I can handle 400 rounds of bad shooting ammo. 2,000 rounds of bad shooting ammo is hard to swallow. It should be OK. The Marlin has loved all the 40gr ammo I have fed it.

I just tried the Choot'em ammo. For practical accuracy it does very well. I haven't tried any targets or shotgun hulls yet. I have confidence Choot'em will shoot just as accurately as any other CCI 40gr ammo. I do not know if Choot'em will expand like a Maxi-mag. CCI Maxi-Mag is a semi jacketed HP. Choot'em is a fully jacketed HP.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  13. tCan

tCan Active Member

Picked up 300 rds (they still limit how much you can buy) of CCI lead roundnose for $8 box/100 at wally world. If you go early in the morning, you can get it, it seems.