.22 coming back?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by deg, Feb 15, 2014.

1. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

One of my vendors came by this past week, he is one who stops at (likely plans his trips around) gun stores, while making his rounds. He said, with little effort, he can readily find .22 ammo in Dallas, TX and has started seeing it a bit more random in other locations. Maybe, just maybe…..

Anyone else noticed starting to see it?

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yes. For the 1st time in over a year, I walked into Walmart in the middle of the day, and they had, of all things, CCI standard, in decent quantity. I bought the max 3, and there was still more.

3. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I got 150rds yesterday. I about cried lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I WANT FEDERAL BULK 22 IN THE RED BOX!!! :mad: Though I do have quite a stash of .22, I don't like the lead bullets. I want them jacketed. The plain lead bullets are dirty. I have found quite a bit of sub sonic which I LOVE to shoot out of my Henry Lever rifle. SWEET!!!!!

5. deg

What is the "Red Box"?

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The Wal-Mart 550 pack. I have been seeing some .22 and usually buy when they are close to normal retail prices. Still very spotty but I know where I get .22 anytime if I don't mind paying $60-$70 a bulk pack.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You mean plated? (Or probably more accurately, "colored"?) I was not aware of any 22 LR ammo that is actually jacketed.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They are copper plated actually, in which a layer or jacket of copper is deposited on the bullet by the use of an electric current, so yes they are jacketed.

9. winds-of-change

This is what I mean by the red box.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...csHdImDFWrg-s2S6-xmVfkmA&ust=1392576931333245

Sorry I got my terminology wrong. Please tell me the technical difference. I'm not sure I know the difference between plated and jacketed. :(

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the biggest difference is the thickness. plating is very thin and jacketed is much thicker depending upon the use of the bullet. plating lead bullets is more about keeping the bore a little cleaner and reducing lead build-up in the bore.

11. winds-of-change

So what would be the purpose of a jacketed bullet? Yes, I like the plated bullets because it keeps my guns cleaner.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the jacket is usually bonded to the lead core. the jacket is the part that usually expands. a lot of the jackets design and what it does when it hits something is dependent upon what it is used for, hunting, SD/HD, target or plinking, ect.,....

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

In a .22 rimfire, the playing is exactly for the reason you like it, to keep things a little cleaner.

Jackets that are made separately and then filled with lead or bonded to a lead core are usually to control extension, and fragmentation. This can be a way to get the bullet to retain shape and weight, to increase penetration in tougher targets.

14. deg

"This is what I mean by the red box."

Seen these, is primarily the plating the reason you like these?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, no, plated is not jacketed, and I'd have to see more info to believe that they are actually even electrically plated at that. If they are, the plating process would be more similar to aluminum anodizing, or chrome plating, or nickel plating.

Or, if you want REAL jacketed bullets, you could switch to 22 Mag, or 17 HMR...

16. winds-of-change

Thank you so much for the information. I didn't know there was a difference. I feel a little smarter today. :p

17. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Plating vs jacketing aside, I'd just about cry over a 550 box of bulk Remingtons like these. It's the only thing my P22 will feed reliably.

[​IMG]

18. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

checked ammoseek.com and there were 106 .22lr offerings at the time. it changes constantly.

19. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Using ammoseek, I found a box of 550 Remington 22LRs I need. I used to pay $19-$22 for them. They're asking $95 plus shipping. :eek:

20. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That reminds me - I need to go check the "Rape Culture" thread...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014