22 case rupture

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Justin H, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Justin H

Justin H New Member

my High Standard Citation did this to a case today.
    the case was halfway out the breach, the bullet was lodged halfway down the barrel.
    there is a good firing pin strike on the case.
    new Winchester ammo.
    already shot 130 rounds of it when this occurred.
    case pulled out by hand but had to remove barrel and drive out bullet.
    the gun was cleaned before I started shooting today.
    I have had this gun for 40 years and shot thousands of round thru it. I have had High Standard replace the firing pin 10 years ago 22 shell case.JPG

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF covey.

Good catch.

I had my first and only squib a few months ago. I was using Winchester Subsonic ammo in my Taurus TX22 and my suppressor was installed at the time. The gun made an unusual noise and I suddenly had dirty, gritty hands. I cleared the gun and found a ruptured case. Since I had already been at the range for a couple of hours, I boxed up my stuff and went home. I disassembled the pistol and could not see light when I held the barrel up to light. I obtained a brass rod and drove the bullet out. The lead separated from the copper jacket. The jacket came out when I forced a brass brush through the barrel.

I believe for whatever reason, I experienced an out of battery detonation.

I will not shoot anymore Winchester Subsonic ammo.

Anytime the detonation of a bullet sounds weak, stop and check for squibs.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    7point62, primer1 and Rifling82 like this.

3. Justin H

Justin H New Member

4. Gatoragn

Is there some peening of the metal on the right corner of the bolt face, or just "gunk", camera angle shadow, etc.?

5. Justin H

Justin H New Member

I see that in the photo and didn't see it on the bolt but now I do see it. some crude was on the bolt recess next to the firing pin. I just scraped it out. I must have not cleaned it well enough last time. I have only fired 130 rounds since that cleaning. could that cause the case to back out when fired? 22 bolt 2.JPG

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Justin

That was what I was going to bring up. As I read on it was very apparent what the cause was. That surely did cause the round to go off "with it out of Battery". Glad you were not hurt and your Pistol was not damaged. You see it does not matter if the primer material is hit from the Rear by the Firing Pin or the Front of the Casing Lip with a piece of trash or debris. As you know from experience, both will ignite the powder by compression of the Primer Material in the Rim Base of the Case on the 22 Rimfire Ammunition.
    Word to the wise! Clean your guns after shooting!:p Not that it could not happen with debris while shooting. I guess we all need to check our Bolt Faces on occasion even when shooting at the range or hunting!:)
    In closing I love the High Standard Pistols. I shot a perfect score in Silhouette Competition with one.
    Her is a picture of one of mine! How about a picture of your Pistol.
    High Standard Military.JPG

Gatoragn likes this.
  7. Gatoragn

I suspect the culprit has been identified and rectified!

8. Justin H

Justin H New Member

I will test it tomorrow. I am planning on having a shootoff between my 22 HS and my new 22 mag Kel-tek. If this is it then it is scary how little of a piece of "crap" can cause such a disaster. Thanks to all on this forum. I will report back tomorrow.

7point62, Sniper03 and Gatoragn like this.
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am sure it has been rectified. Have a great time and enjoy!
    Still need a picture of your High Standard and give us a Range Report!
    By the way because of the finish we can tell she has had a lot of rounds fired through her over the years!:)

10. Justin H

Justin H New Member

I have had this Citation for 40 years (bought it used back then) and shot thousands of rounds thru it. love it hs 22.JPG

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and Gatoragn like this.
  11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Obviously it fired out-of-battery but I am not as sure about the cause. To me it sure looks like the firing pin was the total cause of the round going off. Debris might have held the cartridge from fully entering the chamber and the firing pin then did strike cartridge. So debris could and likely was part of the problem. Apparently this particular firearm allows firing pin strikes when the gun is out-of-battery (not really that uncommon).

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with hiwall. Not the ammo's fault unless you were firing the 45 grain subsonic. Some tight chambers will not accept the 45 grain bullets.

13. Justin H

Justin H New Member

range report: no problems at all. I did use Federal target trade performance instead of Winchester . but it was like the old days. I am chalking this up to the crude on the bolt face and will keep a better eye on it in the future.

Caveman Jim and Gatoragn like this.
  14. Justin H

Justin H New Member

first shot of the day. 10 yards, 22 mag Kel-tek. I wont post the picture of the rest of the clip's rounds. if I wasn't planning on testing my HS 22 then I would have just gone home after this shot. but I got cocky and tried to get a group worthy of saving the target. alas , it was not pretty.

winds-of-change and Caveman Jim like this.
  15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

All it takes is a little piece of crap to make a sh*t sandwich.

Rifling82 likes this.