22 cal. Rifle to fire shorts with?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by krazykeny, May 8, 2011.

1. krazykeny

krazykeny New Member

Is there a 22 cal. Rifle to fire shorts with?

Even the bolt action Marlins,and Stevens say
    ".22 long Only" right on the barrel.
    I don't even care if it has a magazine or a tube.
    It can be a single shot.
    As long as it is not a tiny pink baby girl model.

2. meadville

meadville New Member

Model 39 Marlin takes all three.

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I believe waaay back when, the carnival shooting games used rifles that fired .22 shorts. I have fired them through my MAS bolt action as my high school marksmanship club required us to use 22 shorts. They thought that it was somehow safer, I guess, but I'm amazed that I never had a squib from it.

4. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Stevens, and Winchester. I have a Stevens 53b buckorn, ss, and it takes all 3. Also my Winchester 290, and 250 will shoot all 3..

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In addition to the ones listed, shop for a USED remington 550-1, they ARE out there. Tube fed semi, will cycle semi auto with shorts, longs, or long rifles- AND mine will cycle with CCI CB Longs.

6. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

If you don't care about it being a single shot than any 22 will shoot a short. I shoot the 22 short cbs out of my 10-22 because they literally sound like a pellet gun when you have to take out a varmint in the burbs:cool:

7. iflyfish

iflyfish New Member

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Shooter57, what will a short kill? I have a groundhog that might have to be removed this year, and my town frowns upon guns in our neighborhood, I think.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

The old High Standard 22 auto's were S,L,LR. Sears sold a lot of them,
    and they are pretty cheap un the used market. Anything that's
    chambered for 22 LR will shoot short, at least one at a time.

Got to ask--WHY? You have a pile of 22 short laying around? There
    is NOTHING you can do with a short that there isn't a LR that will do
    the same thing, and probably cheaper. The 22 short is slowly fading
    into the sunset.

10. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

I 22 short cb will consistently kill a jack rabit, ground hog, wood pecker, or even pests as large as a koon if you do your part with the shot placement. Don't quote me on this but I believe a short CB is a 29 grain slug going about 750 fps which is WAY more powerfull than your average high dollar pellet riffle.
    back in the day I had to take out a whole family of koons while living in the burbs in spokane WA. I was in college and my roomates beagle kept getting all of his food robbed. we only found the body of 1 koon but I shot 3 or 4 over a summer with 22 short cbs from the kitchen on to his back deck. the ones we couldn't find I'm positive died as we would stay up late drinking beer with pillows set for a rest to nail one of those unlucky pests center mass right threw the lungs .

Great times those were!

11. krazykeny

krazykeny New Member

What ?

What does this mean?

12. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Just as Shooter57 said a ruger 10/22 will shoot shorts just fine, but you have to load em one at a time. They do make a 22 short drop-in conversion kit for the 10/22 so you can use a 10-round mag.

13. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

.22 shorts cost more than the L.R. rounds too. I wouldn't recommend trying for a humane kill on a groundhog with a short though.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Anything that shoots a Long rifle will shoot a short. No problem as the 22lr headspaces off the rim of the cartridge. Every rimfire I have minus the pistols but of my 6 rimfire rifles every one of them says short long or long rifle.

15. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

He's asking "why"?

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

17. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

krazykeny , the Marlin tube feed bolt action will shoot all three 22's, short, long and long rifle, the new XT series will have an adjustable trigger similar to the Savage Accu-Trigger, but the earlier 981, 881 etc. can be found used for a decent price if you're looking for a used rifle. The XT's are slowly making it to the stores now, but they're taking their time.

...and they can be loaded in the magazine, you won't have to single-shot the rifle with the short or long.

Marlin Model XT-22

[​IMG]

If you want to go the single shot route the NEF Sporter shoots all three as well.

H&R Sportster Rifles

[​IMG]

The only caution I would give is if you shoot a lot of 22 short, I would clean the chamber before switching to the long rifle rounds. The powder residue from the shorter rounds can cause some chambering and ejecting issues

You would think with all the effort cane put into his post, bolt type, large font and 7 question marks, he could have just added the two extra letter (w & h) to his post instead off using the broken English, text messaging short-hand too may people are using.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have an old Remington 512 bolt action that will handle any of the common .22 rounds, including shorts. If you can find any of the old 5-teen Remington rifles like the 510, 511, 512, 513 & 514 in a gun shop or pawn store, you'll be good to go for $100 to $150.

Shorts are wickedly quiet in my old 512 without any other assistance. :cool:

19. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Lol, you're probably right. I just took an alternate route to try and help a fairly new guy, myself included. Besides,who am I to argue with a mod,lol?.