Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glenfield mod. 60 that I purchased recently that was horribly mistreated. It seems that it was practically never cleaned from the time it was made. As I took the gun apart, a piece of metal fell out. After I cleaned the whole thing, I could see where the metal went. I am wondering if it is still usable. I think that the actual piece that is broken, is part of the trigger mechanism. If I remember correctly, before I took the gun apart, it would fire just fine other than shells sometimes wouldn't eject fully but that was due to the lack of the gun being cleaned. Here are a few pictures of how dirty it was and the piece that is broken.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
11,994 Posts
X,

I must admit that is about the dirtiest gun I have ever seen!. The part you are speaking about can probably be purchased from Numrich Arms also known as www.gunparts.com. It is the Hammer from what I can see in the picture. I am not all that familiure with the Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 but I would presume the design of that part should have the other ear so to speak on it. I would presume the breakage could have been caused due to the lack of care of the weapon or simple a wear fracture. Most of those parts are cast parts and are subject to breakage over time from the shock they receive when the hammer is pulled and the striking of the bolt and firing pin. This is not an expensive part.

·
Supporting Member
11,994 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
If it still fires, you could safely still shoot it. If it shoots leave it. To replace the hammer you have to take apart the assembly it is in(not to fun). The hammers(like all parts for your gun) are easily available.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I saw that the assembly would be a pain to take apart due to all the springs. After hours of cleaning around the springs and hammer and tube mag, I knew that the option to replace it would be a rough one. I have quite a few other 22's so I figure this one might be a wall mount for now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will order the parts after I make a parts list for all of my guns. I got a few things here and there like little parts for a few of my different guns. I will get around to it though. I have been breaking everything down and cleaning and making a list of what is needed so instead of ordering one thing here and there I will just get it all at one time.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
"I will order the parts after I make a parts list for all of my guns. I got a few things here and there like little parts for a few of my different guns. I will get around to it though. I have been breaking everything down and cleaning and making a list of what is needed so instead of ordering one thing here and there I will just get it all at one time. "

Good plan.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Do a search for ARROWDODGER's Marlin 60, it will lead you to a breakdown of the assembly with great instructions and PICS!!!

RFC is my second home...the Marlin info on there is second to none...not even Marlin Owners is that good...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
And hammer replacement ain't that bad, you pull the pin out, slide the hammer free,
and try to keep the spring from shooting off into outer-space ;)

This would also be a great time to replace the hammer & recoil springs with a J&P Springs Marlin 60/795 kit!!
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=219

Also, from the look of that buffer, good time to replace it with a new black one from Numrich...

BTW, your model 60 is from 1979 ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do a search for ARROWDODGER's Marlin 60, it will lead you to a breakdown of the assembly with great instructions and PICS!!!

RFC is my second home...the Marlin info on there is second to none...not even Marlin Owners is that good...
Thanks for the info but as you can tell I already have it fully broken down. I was just wondering if it was still usable or not. I will still order the piece and put it together either way. Thanks again though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts