.22 automatic suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dragunovsks, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Can anyone suggest a good .22 semiauto pistol? My father-in-law wants to get one and asked me for some suggestions. He doesn't care what brand right now just as long as it's dependable and accurate. I told him that Walther makes one in .22 LR and also Ruger was another brand that popped into mind when he asked. He wants to buy in a local gunstore so that he can go "hands-on" before buying.

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thanx scott, I'll add that one to the list.

4. thebiggie32

thebiggie32 New Member

I fully recommend a Ruger Mark III pistol. I love mine.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

What does a Ruger MRK III run, I mean price wise? I was thinking about buying myself one too.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It's MY FIRM opinion that Ruger mk2/mk3 targer pistols are THE most accurate & reliable on the planet. Yes I realize S&W model 41s are nicer, as is the old high standard victor, and Rugers need trigger work or hammer/sear/trigger replacement. Rugers are hard to field strip UNTIL you have someone show you or once you learn how, is ridiculously simple. I even prefer them over Browning Buckmark, and I'm an Browning man, as well as Ruger, Benelli, and Para-Ordnance:p. The Ruger mk3 pistols run new starting out UNDER 250$ for fixed sighted, skinny barreled version, up to 480$ for the top of the line Hunter series or Slabsides.

7. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If he wants a 22lr with a slide, the Walther P22 is great. I have one and love it. You need to break it in to get the accuracy though.

8. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I talked to him last night about it and he said he would pay the extra money for a Ruger Mark III for the accuracy. I'm not sure if he wants one with a slide over one without, I know he wants one that's mag feed and accurate. Walther was one of my choices but I've heard the least about them as far as accuracy and reliabilty.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would say plus one on the Rugers Mark II & III AND the Browning Buckmark. All three pistols pass the JD bill for a good, reliable and accurate .22 pistol that can be used a cheap plinker.

JD

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

1911 with a .22 LR conversion kit.

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Actually Matt, a conversion kit for my 1911 is one thing I'm currently saving for. Maybe when I get my tax money I'll get either a conversion kit or a .22 pistol.

12. Clem

Clem Member

There isn't that much difference in price between a good .22 conversion for a 1911 and a good .22 like a Ruger MK III. I have a couple of MK IIIs and a Marvel No. 1 conversion for the 1911. While I like both of them, I like the Ruger MK III 512 better, but at the moment, I really prefer revolvers: S&W Model 17, 617, 63, etc. Just a matter of personal preference.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I went to a local gunstore today and looked at a couple of semi-auto .22 pistols. I looked at the Ruger Mk III (not Hunter), Ruger 22/45, Beretta Neos, and a S&W (can't remember what model). I also looked at the Taurus .22 revolver. I started this thread looking for an automatic, but my chooses are now between the Taurus and the Ruger 22/45.

I like the Ruger 22/45 because I'm used to the 1911 and the 22/45's grips and magazine release are modeled after the 1911.

14. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

First off, I like Rugers, one in my pocket right now. How ever, the two I do not like are the 10/22 and Mark III. I have seem to much BS from both models. When it was my time to buy a practice pistol in 22, the S&W 22A fit me best and shoots straight as can be. I have seen both Mark IIIs and 22/45 be so picky about ammo they won't feed anything but high end stuff. I can plink all day on $8/ 500 ammo with my Smith.

My $0.02, YMMV.

15. Bighead

Bighead New Member

+1

The Camper model is the entry level and is an excellent all-around .22 pistol. Browning also offers many other variations of the Buckmark depending on your needs.

The Ruger MKII/MKIII pistols that you mentioned already are also excellent.

16. ScottG

ScottG New Member

One reason why I bought it, plus it was only $229.00....

17. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Buck Mark

You can't go wrong with the Buckmark, any of the two is a good choice, either the Ruger or the Browning; but I do prefer the Browning Buckmark.

18. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The mk3 22/45 models blued, with bull barrel, and adjustable sites are selling for 239$ new. You're NOT going to come ANYWHERE close to that with comparable accuracy for that price. IMO ANY firearm should be tuned up in todays laywer proof and machined tolerance/little to no handfitting world. It's pretty funny the previous poster saying the s&w model 22a is more reliable than a Ruger as I cannot stand it when I see another 22a come in my shop (too many already). Also the s&w 22a is ergonomic nightmare.

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've always liked the Ruger Mk series pistols,but they feel awkward in my hands,whereas the Buckmark feels perfect. They both have quite alot of aftermarket goodies that can be added to either brand. Either one is a good pistol.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would not buy a MkIII I dislike the "I'm Stupid" loaded chamber indicator. You should always know the status of your firearms.

THe MkII is the one I would go for in a rimfire pistol. The Browning Buckmark is another winner.. I have a Ruger MkII and a Beretta Neos. The ruger will shoot rings around the Beretta but they are two different pistols.. My ruger is deadly accurate out to 50 yards my neos is a more modern pistol that is more fun to shoot and burn up ammo with. I like the neos because it has a full length rail on it that allows me to mount my red dot on it.