.22 ar15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ar15guy29, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ar15guy29

ar15guy29 New Member

I am wanting to a .22 long rifle in the ar platform. Just can't decide if I want a dedicated upper or a sw 15 22. Whats every tried/liked about which one they chose? Also does anyone know if the slide fire stock will work with the .22 lr?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A dedicated AR lookalike such as S&W M&P15-22 or Colt is fine. As is a .22LR upper. Your call, advantages to either way. I found a sale on the Colt and am pleased with it. I liked the idea of a complete rifle for $450 vs. an upper but no doubt there are advantages to using a true AR lower.

As far as bump firing, do you think there's enough recoil?

3. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

There's a trigger attachment that aids in bump firing called the gat trigger, somehow makes it more sensitive, and capable of bump firing a low-recoil gun like a 22. Don't know much other than that. Never tried to bump.

http://gattrigger.com/

Check the video for the gat trigger in the middle of the page.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. Scratch

Scratch New Member

I was in the same boat awhile ago but I decided to just get one of those conversion kits for like 180 I think with 3 mags. I love it, and it's much cheaper than an entire gun, also don't have to deal with transfer fees, going to get it, etc... It takes up less space in my safe and gun case too. I got the stainless one and the carbon wipes off easily, but I've heard they also have a non stainless version for even cheaper.

Also the kit operates (obviously) just like the real thing because it is, and the mags have the bolt hold open built in, on last shot fired.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The issue with dedicated upper is the magazines are a pain in the @ss to load after the first 200 or so.

The sw mp15-22 everything works as it should all the controls are functional like in the centerfire ar15s. Magazines are very easy to load

The colt while it hasabolt hold open the bolt release is purely cosmetic nonfunctional. The safety doesnt operate like a real ar15. Magazine loading is similar to dedicated upper type mags

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I want a rifle in .22lr for supplemental training, so I was gonna go with a dedicated upper. The M&P 15-22 is really nice, but it's too light for my purposes. I want something that swings, handles and snaps like my actual rifle, so I want them to be as close in weight as possible.

What's the issue with the mags? I don't see why they would get harder to load over time.

-Fred

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Colt magazines actually are very easy to load, just like the S&W. Also the Colt magazines hold 30 rounds while the S&W only holds 25. Cosmetic features such as forward assist and external BHO of the Colt are there to make it look more like a real M4 while the S&W omits some of the "looks" entirely, such as the FA and flash hider/threaded barrel in some models. The main difference between them is that the Colt comes much closer to the look and the weight of a real AR, and the S&W while being very lightweight actually has a lower receiver that functions very much the same as an AR.

The Colt gets trashed or even ignored a lot but there's no denying it is a good choice, as is the M&P15-22. Handle them (and other options) and make your own decision.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I say the SW15-22. Though I haven't shot the Colt I trust Q's opinion.

I own a dedicated .22 from CMMG that rides on top of a true AR lower. I really enjoy shooting it and would recommend it also. Just give it a little break in time to start running reliably.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

the typical dedicated upper mags are the blackdog/cmmg type with no load assist button. they are thumb busters. the cmmg dedicated uppers with forward assist and bolt hold open is as close as it gets to the real thing thing. the only drawback poor mag design.

ive got a cmmg kit and got tired of using it because my fingers go numb and start hurting painfully after a few cycles of loading. loading them is very slow too.

if you dont mind the downtime and pain the dedicated cmmg route is the only way to replicate a AR faithfully

10. ar15guy29

ar15guy29 New Member

I'm not sure. Seen the fosetech outdoors video on you tube. Had little girl bump firing with an sw mp15. I sent them email asking if there was any mods to make it work on the sw or a true lower with .22 upper

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The light weight of the S&W bothers me too and was a big reason I went with the Colt M4 .22 which weighs 6 pounds just like a real M4. But for serious drills it might not be as good a choice as a .22lr upper on a true AR lower. The trigger group is quite different and as Jon mentioned before the safety is different - Safe is 180 degrees from Fire.

It's strange how much hate there is out there for the Colt, maybe because of the name Colt or Walther or the importer, Umarex, or the initial high price but I love the little rifle. So do most people who buy one! Is it for everyone? No, but it's worth a look especially when you can find a sale for $400.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

yep I had the money in my pocket I was going to buy a brand new m&p 15-22 then I picked it up it was way to light and I didn't like the polymer receiver, they had a used Colt M4 22LR I picket it up messed around with it a little bit and ended up walking out of the store with it. It was used but from what I can tell not really used that much, little dirty on the inside but other then great. I like the flat top receiver I switch between a BSA scope with a 1/2" lift and the original iron sights for target and hunting really one awesome gun for the price.

13. Jay

Jay New Member

I bought an RRA lower some time back, and recently mated a Tactical Solutions dedicated upper to it. It works great, and the "feel" is the same as my other AR's....

Personal preference, of course.... glad we have a choice.

14. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I was just looking on MidwayUSA and the new Gen 3 Black Dog mags have steel feed lips and the same thumb pull down thingy that the M&P 22 mags have. Here's the link:

Conversion Mag Gen 3 Steel Feed Lips AR-15 CMMG Ciener Tactical Solutions Spikes Rimfire Conversions 22 Long Rifle 32-Round Polymer Black

And for those of you who have the older gen mags, they also have a magazine loader.

-Fred

15. Myke2209

Myke2209 New Member

Im looking at the umarex h&k416d very nice all metal seen one at a gun show last weekend

hk416_for_sale_1.jpg

16. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

My son bought a SW 15-22 back in the spring. I like it so well that I bought one for myself. It is great fun at the range. It is light, but what do you expect for a .22lr?

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Love my S&W AR15-22. It's just a kick in the pants. Light weight is a good thing in my book, but I'm not training with one for any kind of professional use.

18. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Why are the magazines for this gun so wide? Is that extra area just closed-off space, or is there some functional element in there?

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Pretty sure it's just for aesthetics.

20. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

For the OP though, you might want to consider just going with the AR lower and putting a .22 upper on it. That way you can get a lighter trigger for the AR in your lower, pull off more rounds while aiming instead of bumping with no aim. I'm not sure if the AR triggers will work with the S&W M&P .22