Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if any of ya'll know about this one, I used it back in the day with my single shot, bolt action Remington 22lr rifle just to play with in the back yard. You can use a 22cal air gun pellet and a small 22cal blank cartridge likes used in the nail guns(looks like a crimped 22 short without the bullet) and load in your bolt guns to make what amounts to a 22 BB cap load. Just load the pellet in first, push the blank in behind it and close the bolt and you'd be surprised at how well it works at short range.
I know 22lr has been hard to come by lately so I figure I'd pass this little trick along so that you could at least get a little practice in or shoot small game at short range with something until you can find the actual "real deal" 22lr stuff. ;)

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, if you've got $150-$250 to get into a good air rifle then that'd be the preferred way to go but this is just a way to let someone with a bolt action 22lr shoot it while the supplies are low on actual 22lr ammo. I have no idea what the blanks will cost since I had em' already from a friends nail gun so I just had to buy the pellets but I just thought I'd throw it out there incase someone needed to shoot a rabbit or something and didn't have any real 22 rimfire ammo on hand. :rolleyes:

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've known guys to load up a .223 Rem case with a magnum primer and push a pellet into the case mouth and shoot it. Plenty of power for it to clear the barrel. Same deal with the nail gun blanks, more then enough power even with the lower power ones to clear the barrel. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.