22-410

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by superduty, Dec 7, 2012.

1. superduty

superduty New Member

Have a Stevens 22-410 over/under. The selector switch is missing and both firing pins hit at the same time. Gunsmith said it wasnt worth fixing.he Advised that I shouldn't pay I'm $150 to put the switch on a $150 gun..

My question is, is this thing safe to shoot? Would it be worth fixing myself?

2. superduty

superduty New Member

It says 21a on one side of the receiver. and has a plastic stock and forend

Attached Files:

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Is it worth it to you? How much are you into it? What is your intended use?
    As for "safe" that could become a long argument. Some would argue that any firearm that's missing the parts necessary for it to operate in the manner it was designed, is unsafe. Others would say, just load the one barrel you wish to use, and enjoy. I tend toward the first. IMHO, half-assed functioning of firearms is an accident waiting to happen.

4. superduty

superduty New Member

My dad took the gun on trade, and later gave it to me. I don't really have much use for the gun. I figured I could use the 22 for squirrels. And maybe let my nephews learn the shoot with it.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

6. superduty

superduty New Member

Here is all that's left of the selector...I'm pretty confident I could put the new part in. Just have to figure out how to take the receiver apart. To get to it.

Attached Files:

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Popular "survival" gun these days. SOMEONE will want it, especially as a truck gun. A new part, a little paint...

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

try Numrich gun parts. they may have the part and do have some good schematics of many firearms. might not be as hard to replace yourself, depending on your skill level.

have to agree with Overkill84, a gun that's missing parts and not working as desinged is unsafe. either fix it properly or sell it to someone and let them. an unsafe firearm is an accident looking for a place to happen.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great project to me. I would order the parts and fix it myself. I am always up to a challenge. I have fired a few guns with a string for the first time.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That`s a Stevens, I would bring it back to it`s former glory, them`s some nice little over & under`s...........Fix It !

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Me too. If you shoot only the .410, the firing pin on the .22 side will probably damage the rim area of the chamber.

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Definitely get the gun fixed. The guns are becoming more collectable, especially those early ones with the tenite stocks. Those in nice shape can cost $6-$700. I don't think that's cheap and it won't cost much to get yours into shape. My uncle gave me mine in the 1950's and I've always loved it. Those selectors were always a problem though. When it's repaired make sure you put some blue loctite on the screw, cause they do tend to loosen up and fall out while shooting. This is mine.
    [​IMG]

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It is extremely hard to get parts for those guns. I'm still looking for a front sight for a 24 V series B. If you can fix it, do it and hold onto the gun. It will be valuable some day.