22-250 re-load

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by doss, Apr 9, 2009.

1. doss

doss New Member

I have a 22-250 that im going to start re-loading. I was wanting to know if anyone had any input on what powder, and blullets tend to yield the most accuracy. The gun is a Howa Varmint supreme w/ a heavy bull and 1/14 twist. I need a good starting point so i dont have to load a ton of shells to find one that fits my gun. Thanks any input is welcome.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

with that 14 twist you going to want to stick to 55gr or below with 50gr being best for that twist.

I prefer Hornady's V-max bullets. They will make a real mess of varmints. The one thing that hold true is your gun my not like what mine likes. start in the middle and work out.

3. 1hole

1hole New Member

Try the Hornady or Sierra in 50-52 gr first.

Try either IMR-4064, Varget or H-380 for first powder.

Primers and cases won't matter, they all work fine.

4. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

22-250 Load

Great varmit cal. I like Hornady V-Max also. In 50-55gr they perform well. For the very best accuracy in my Rem.Varmit, I shoot Sierra 52gr. HPBT Match. I think it is Sierra #1410? BL-C(2), and Varget are my favorite powders in this cal. I keep the loads at Mid-range (around 3500fps), and usually Neck size my fire-formed brass. The Sierra 52gr., with BL-C(2) will give me Head Shots on pennys, at 100yds, if I do my part with the rifle.

5. doss

doss New Member

Thanks guys, thats a lot of help. Went to my local gun store today and got some varget, 55g Sierra gameking HP (thats all they had) and i managed to walk away with a 1000 primers. Hopefully this will get me started and dialed in, I really want to try the hornady Vmax though.