20mm the new 50?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by wmille01, Jul 13, 2011.

1. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Me and some guys at work got talking, they have 20mm rifles out had them for a while the 50 started out as a mounted weapon (not counting the boys anti tank rifle) then it slowly developed into a sniper rifle/ anti material rifle. They have 20mm rifles for anti material and what not but will they be like the 50 cal is now in the future what do y'all think?

2. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Short answer: No

Long answer: No because of the geneva convention. (atleats for a sniper rifle)

As for anti vehicle rifles and such, they already exist. They existed pre ww2. Look up Lahti and Solothurn.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 Cory

20mm rifles are everywhere!

MAG-FED 20MM RIFLE - Anzio Ironworks

Attached Files:

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I had no clue they were banned via the convention as use for military snipers. My thought was because how popular the 50 has become with infantry that maybe the 20mm would eventually become a regular just like Barrett.

5. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

uhh, .50s were banned for use against personel anyway. at least the auto kind. but no one seems to think in difference. i dont think the 20 will become like the 50 cause of weight. seriously, no body wants to hump a barrett everywhere, hand a sniper, a real one anyway, a 20mm and hes probably going to give you the finger. its just impractable in a sniper aspect.