Firearms Talk banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Back in the day I would use the driveway alerts and mailbox alerts LOL... No picture, just tell ya someone or something just crossed the light beam... LOL.. Use to set them in bird houses with the eye lens in bird hole LOL..

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
This week is gonna be rough at work. Only three days, everything crammed into that schedule to start my time off on Thursday. I have been itching to get out into the woods. The weather looks like it will be perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I survived the short work week. Heading out in the morning. Opening day on Friday. Weather looks good. We had some rain this week, so shouldn't be too dry.
Fingers crossed. Would be good to put some extra meat in the freeze.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Opening day of muzzleloader I had a button buck wander by followed by three does. I got ready to shoot the biggest one but I noticed all three of them kept staring at something in a different direction. I decided to wait, then they all wandered into the neighbors property where one of them was quickly shot by him... I should have shot when I had my chance :)
That night, just before dark I walked out of the woods in a miserable rainstorm. Dreaming about getting to the trucks heater I marched right into the bed of a huge 8 point who was gone before I even got the gun off of my shoulder. Won't make that mistake again :)

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Woods are getting slow, haven't been seeing much of anything and I've hunted about every evening and free weekend, still have plenty of time but I really need a minimum of 2 more deer.

I've never been the type of person to walk out of the woods empty handed and be in any way upset, in this modern world, a man constantly has to do things he doesn't want to do, sitting in the woods is something I like to do so I can't say I didn't enjoy myself

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Twig Wood
Brown Plant Twig Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Talked to Dad yesterday at 0800 his time. He had just finished up processing his 3rd. 😫
I sure wish we could get tags out here in AZ like he can back in AR.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I believe this deer didn't mean to about run me over but it almost did. I caught it browsing in a thicket and made my shot. On the deers quick death run, it banzai charged. I hip fired at about 3 feet and dropped it. Upon gutting I found both of my 7mm WSM rounds were well placed but the stomach had bursted. I jogged it back to the truck a few miles and immediately hosed it out with a few gallons of water I had on hand. If you notice the pictures are of the same tree front and back, the first picture being taken before any shooting, it was so close it splattered both of us with blood.

Anyways I think I'm gonna buy a less powerful deer rifle, maybe a handy 30-30
Plant Tree Glove Wood Trunk
Plant Branch Trunk Wood Tree

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I believe this deer didn't mean to about run me over but it almost did. I caught it browsing in a thicket and made my shot. On the deers quick death run, it banzai charged. I hip fired at about 3 feet and dropped it. Upon gutting I found both of my 7mm WSM rounds were well placed but the stomach had bursted. I jogged it back to the truck a few miles and immediately hosed it out with a few gallons of water I had on hand. If you notice the pictures are of the same tree front and back, the first picture being taken before any shooting, it was so close it splattered both of us with blood.

Anyways I think I'm gonna buy a less powerful deer rifle, maybe a handy 30-30 View attachment 249151 View attachment 249152
Sheesh!
I tagged quite a few with an old Marlin in .44mag, but shots were usually under 50 yards. Dad uses his in 450 bushie with excellent results.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,332 Posts

Anyways I think I'm gonna buy a less powerful deer rifle, maybe a handy 30-30 View attachment 249151 View attachment 249152
Yep, you were over powered for sure.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts