Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Squirrels are the easiest thing to clean. Cut the belly skin away enough to get your hand under the skin and over the back grab the skin and grab the squirrel and pull apart . When we cook them for squirrel pot pie we leave the head on but that grosses some people out so we cut em off. Same way with them Wascally Wabbits.
Hmmmm..... I watched and tried something where you slice across the back by tail on top spine? then pull? All I get is rips, shreds etc... LOL

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
30 years ago I went hunting with a guy on his family property and we shot a load of squirrels. We field gutted them and brought them back . I started to do my thing and this guys grandma grabbed the squirrel out of my hand and said”gonna take all day are you” and she showed me how to do it. You can probably find the easy on you tube.

·
Registered
532 Posts
30 years ago I went hunting with a guy on his family property and we shot a load of squirrels. We field gutted them and brought them back . I started to do my thing and this guys grandma grabbed the squirrel out of my hand and said”gonna take all day are you” and she showed me how to do it. You can probably find the easy on you tube.
I know the EASY one on Doves when hunted. Two fingers under breast after shot, pull up and breast comes out clean. No feathers etc... put in baggie....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Seen guys Air Skin Coyote before. But kinda takes the traditional hunt etc... out of the fun and the nature respect of the animal. Long video ..

Reactions: SRK97

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Squirrels are the easiest thing to clean. Cut the belly skin away enough to get your hand under the skin and over the back grab the skin and grab the squirrel and pull apart . When we cook them for squirrel pot pie we leave the head on but that grosses some people out so we cut em off. Same way with them Wascally Wabbits.
Interesting. We did the similar except the slit was on the back. When i peel, i peel away from center, toward tail and toward head. Same again with rabbits.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Same thing I guess separate the skin from the body and pull them apart. Very easy after you see it done. I haven’t squirrel hunted in years and now I’m remembering how good squirrel pot pie was . Although I am thinking of possibly going snapper turtle fishing first cause that is also delicious.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Interesting. We did the similar except the slit was on the back. When i peel, i peel away from center, toward tail and toward head. Same again with rabbits.

Thats because you guys know how to skin and I DON"T !!.... I was just a pred shooter. Good at dial in and hit Preds. Night or day. But we cheated because..... My friend did all the skinning, he had a Pest control business. This gave us access to LOT of hunting land for furs... He did calling, I did shooting ... 500+ furs a year. Trapped and called. Would sell them at auctions... Most would go to Colleges... Now days I feel bad about killing so many for fur money. So I only take out the Nuisance Yotes out back here behind my house.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Meh... just find a buddy that knows, to go huntin with you.
Heck, ive been skunked a few years now on deer/elk out here. I may forget myself. 🤪

·
Registered
532 Posts
Meh... just find a buddy that knows, to go huntin with you.
Heck, ive been skunked a few years now on deer/elk out here. I may forget myself. 🤪
Oh don't get me wrong. I'm still a sportsman to put Venison or Turkey in freezer LOL...Just a bit changed on the fact I shot so many preds for fur money... I always had a thing for preds... Correct barrel twist, ammo, scope, windage, elevation, night, day, up hill, down hill shots, etc... I LOVE IT !!! NOTHING LIKE PRED HUNTING AT NIGHT... !!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Many things can happen !! Good, Bad, Scary, Dangerous... etc....

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
My skinning technique doesn’t work with them turtles though. That takes forever and as your trying to butcher the thing they fight back. 3 hours after you cut the head off they still try to walk away. Still turtle soup is my favorite.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My skinning technique doesn’t work with them turtles though. That takes forever and as your trying to butcher the thing they fight back. 3 hours after you cut the head off they still try to walk away. Still turtle soup is my favorite.

I caught one before Bullhead fishing LOL.. Swam by and Turtle tail caught my line. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Back to deer hunt. Did a scout last weekend. Lots of does. On the way out drove within 50 feet of one grazing (the deer, not me) . Put the truck in park, even opened the door... she didn't even flinch.
No bucks spotted though. Was able to begin to formulate a hunt strategy. Their is a deep wash/gully that i can skirt or potentially walk in to flank the wind this fall. Acres of alpine meadow surrounded by tall pine. Washes coming down the Mtn cutting through the pine and meadows. They primarily use one in the pine to travel to lower altitude scrub. Lots of rain this monsoon, so hopefully nice healthy deer this fall.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm sick of the Deer in my yard at night ONLY. They come from across the road at night where nobody is allowed to hunt. Come for my apple trees and Cherry trees. They destroy few hundred dollars in pine trees, Cherry trees etc... Every winter. If I thought I could get away with it I would put the lighted pins on the Hoyt at night. But they would make it back across the road before they drop LOL.. Would see white belly ups in morning in no hunt property LOL...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm sick of the Deer in my yard at night ONLY. They come from across the road at night where nobody is allowed to hunt. Come for my apple trees and Cherry trees. They destroy few hundred dollars in pine trees, Cherry trees etc... Every winter. If I thought I could get away with it I would put the lighted pins on the Hoyt at night. But they would make it back across the road before they drop LOL.. Would see white belly ups in morning in no hunt property LOL...

Check with you r state fish and game folk. There may be a exemption for your situation where deer are causing a nuisance and financial harm.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So, not me. Also, not a deer. Friend of a friend shot this elk couple.weeks ago , archery in eastern AZ. White mountains. Pretty nice.
Plant Hunting Tree Wood Trunk

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I can't believe people actually hunt deer. Nearly every night, and during the day, my Ring system catches BIG deer running together in herds at times. I have one pic a couple of weeks ago of a 10 point deer just staring at the flood lights saying "shoot me". I could care less about deer because I don't like eating them and they seem as plentiful a tree rats. I will shoot tree rats because they are a challenge to hit but deer, I have to get rid of them and they're everywhere. To each their own. I need a legal or not so conspicuous way of getting rid of them besides a dog. Just haw I feel about the pests.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I never could figure out the tail method for skinning squirrels so I just do the shirt and pants method
My Dad taught me the "tail" method I guess you could call it. What we do is cut through the base of the tail so that the tailbone is detached but the skin on the top of the tail is still connected. Then cut from the edges of the first cut slits part way down the back legs. Place the squirrel on the ground on it's back and step on the tail so that the tailbone is on the edge of your boot tread and won't slip. Then grab both back legs and pull. You can pull all the way down to where the hide is around the squirrel's front feet and neck. Cut off the head and the front feet and that part of the hide is done. There will be a little bit of hide left at the rear of the belly and on part of the rear legs. You can just pull that off by hand or use a small pocket knife to skin it off. This piece of hide will come off with the rear feet when you cut them off. After that it is just split the belly open and cut through the pelvis and sternum and pull all the innards out. Done.

Reactions: SRK97
21 - 40 of 62 Posts