2010 third place Darwin Award winner

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I just tripped over this and felt I had to share it with this crowd.

After stepping around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door, a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store. The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol.

The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, and several customers also drew their guns and fired. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm smiling right now...

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Must've had a death wish.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Thats like something staight out of the old west. That just made me very happy.

5. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Did that happen quite awhile ago?
    I seem to Remember a story that came out about a year ago. Some guy thought he was running into a jewelry shop. It wasn't it was a gun shop & everybody blew his a** away. Still makes me smile.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Suicidal people will do some crazy sh!t. Sounds like suicide by cop (and everyone else in the store) :)

7. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Sounds like a forensic nightmare!

8. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

47 fired and only 23 wounds?
    Hit the range folks! :eek:

9. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

10. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Maybe they keyholed most of the shots.:p

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's really not such a bad ratio when you think about all the times there have been 30-40 plus fired, and only 2-3 hits.

12. vincent

vincent New Member

What state did this happen in?

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

To bad he didn't have any more friends. Justified group shootings of live targets are hard to come by, and great practice/training in the civilian world. :cool:

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ain't that the truth.

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

It's been jazzed up to make it more exciting, but it is, actually, based on a real story.

snopes.com: Gun Shop Robber

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Honestly, the Darwin awards account sounds more believable to me than the snopes account.

1. .38 cal semiautomatic, (with a graphic of a revolver shown)... I know that .38 spl semis exist, but have only seen pictures of them. I would say likely a .380. I think this hurts the writers credibility.

2. DA account says shop owner was packing a .50 Deagle. Possible, sure. How many really actually tote one of those things around though? Possible, but not likely, unless he's really compensating for something.

3. Several of the would be robbers rounds hit boxes of ammunition, exploding them and leaving slugs lying around everywhere. Plain and simple, I don't believe it. I'm not saying impossible, but if he only fired a few shots and it left something in the area of 40+ spent rounds and casings "exploded" and no one got hurt? Even including the rounds and casing left by the actual shooting? Come on. More likely that the cop concocted that story to keep the civvies out of the legal equation, and that's not really all that likely either (at least not in my opinion).

Whatever the case actually is, I find the Darwin Awards story just a bit more believable.

17. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I was going to say that. It's s a horrible way to go but I don't know why else you would do that. That's stupid even for stupid.

18. tCan

tCan Active Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  19. fmj

fmj New Member

LMAO!!! Thanks, more damn coffee on my monitor. This damn site is going to be the death of that thing!!