200 + yards , swirling wind question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by chloeshooter, Aug 25, 2013.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I about drove myself nuts at the range today trying to calculate windage.

Anybody have any tricks or tips for long range (200+) shooting with swirling/ gusty winds? (I know, bring more ammo lol)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Spotter. Earn his pay.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Flags might help to judge wind and direction. Also, timing your shot for the near exact wind conditions of the previous shot helps.

I use one of these, but it's only good reading the wind for the location your at:

http://kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-4500-weather-meter

Learning to read the environment such as trees, grass, weeds, dust, etc... is what will rally be of help and this meter is a good learning aid for that.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Flags are nice if you're at a range ... Just take the flag angle and divide by 4. That's your wind mph.

0-3 mph wind is hardly felt in your skin
    3-5 mph wind moves grass and is lightly felt
    5-8 mph will keep tree leaves moving
    8-12 mph will make dust and move loose paper
    12-15 mph causes small trees to sway
    15-20 mph makes large trees sway

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

What I find, is out to 300 yards, the wind doesn't have much effect if it is under 10 M.P.H.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

that's helpful thank you much

7. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

What caliber were you shooting? Some are more affected by wind than others

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

30-06 in 150 grain and 270 in 130 gr

9. seancslaughter

What I did when I was a soldier was record every round I shot and made a ballistics chart for all different conditions such as wind and humidity and distance. Nowadays they have all sorts of ballistics calculators you can buy that will give you pretty spot on corrections if those are too pricy for you I know of several phone apps that do basically the same thing. If not go the old fashioned route and make a chart that you have on you of every round fired and the hold you used or turret settings it takes a lot of patience and ammo that way though

10. seancslaughter

I know 30.06 is pretty affected by wind not too much experience with a 270 other than my ar which is 6.8spc which is 270 caliber bullet and I don't use it for loooong range. If you want a round that's a flat shooter and shrugs off wind like its nothing get a 338 lm they are one of the best long distance shooters ever and even someone with hardly any experience can easily nail consistent 700 plus targets in most conditions with one

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

well I believe wind effects trajectory quite a bit over 10 mph regardless of the caliber being fired. The larger the caliber also = greater surface area for the wind to influence. Also the farther out you go, the larger the effect of the wind. At 200 meters (219 yds) a 10 mph cross wind will blow pretty much any hunting caliber 1.2 to 2 inches off target. Of course velocity has a say in this as well

Make that a 20 mph wind, or a 12 mph wind that gusts/swirls, and I think most of that heavier bullet stuff goes completely out the window. I don't say this as an expert hunter but I do say this as someone with an aerodynamics background and that's really what we are talking about here.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I generally bring enough guns to the range, with enough

goals in mind, that poor weather can't tank them all.

I wait for a calmer day, for LD shooting.