200 gr. Swc

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Cadoll, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

Can somebody tell me if SWC is loaded the same as LSWC? What would the oal be if using clays pwdr? Thanks in advance if you can direct me to a load data which shows # of grains using clays and the oal.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Cadoll your best bet for infor is a good reloading manual like Sierra's or Hornady's manuals.

For online use Try looking at www.hodgdon.com they have the best online listing of loads I have seen.....

If you are using a Lead SWC and a Jacketed SWC no the load data will not be the same. I am assuming you are loading for a 45acp. You can load jacketed bullet to a higher speed that a lead or plated bullet.

3. noylj

noylj Member

COL is a gun/barrel/bullet variable and can be "assumed" from loading manuals or your buddies favorite load.
    I have never gotten the accuracy out of a jacketed SWC as I get from a cast SWC in .45 Auto. Loading data comes from manufacturer and other reloading component companies. Not from me and not from your buddy.
    I show the following:
    Jacketed SWC: start is 3.9gn and max is 4.3gn.
    Lead SWC: start is 3.6gn and max is 4.3gn
    This is too tight a range for me to want to play in, especially for a jacketed bullet. I only load powders that show at least a grain between start and max and I KNOW that Clays peaks quickly and has an almost hockey-stick pressure curve, so I don't use it.
    If you can, look at 231/HP38, AA2, AA5, Bullseye, or Red Dot. These powders have never shown a spikey pressure curve for me and all produce great accuracy. Solo 1000 is a very fast powder, but it still has about a 1 grain range from start to max.
    Clays and TiteGroup are "in" powders that I have simply NOT been happy with.