20" or 24" Barrel Suggestion/Opinions

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by WoodysKJ, Mar 8, 2011.

1. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I am looking for input on some good quality 20" or 24" bull barrels to make a Hog Thumper.

My plan is to take a Stag lower, match 2 stage or comp trigger, Weighted A2 Stock, Bull Barrel, FF hand guard, Bipod, Muzzle Break, Luepold Varmint scope, in 5.56 with a 1/9 twist or slower.

Ideas and opinions please, with links and/or pics, Please.

Thanks in return.

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a 24" heavy barrel on my bolt .308. That adds a lot of weight. A 20" barrel shooting 5.56 should give you all the ballistics you need to thump hogs and more. I am not sure if there is an advantage at all with that cartridge going longer, except for maybe a few fps faster. The experts will chime in, I'm sure.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

WOODY,

In my opinion you would be much better off with the 20" Barrel. The 24 is just too D--- heavy to pack around. If you have ever held a 24" you will also find it is front very heavy. If you were always going to be shooting from a certain constant stationary position. It would not be a bad choice. But the 20 will serve you well.

4. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I am leaning towards a 20". Just haven't totally ruled out a 24"

Thinking about a 1/9 twist also. I think I can shoot 55 gr boat tails through that with decent success, correct?

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If youre going to use it to hunt hogs you might want to go w/ 1:7 so you can fire longer/heavier rounds.

6. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Okay, cool, good tip. I personally like boat tail projectiles. Can you or anybody toss out a recipe for a 5.56 round and a heavier bullet for a 1:7 twist?

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I dont reload but all the factory 75gr ammo Ive had was all HPBT.

8. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If it was me, I would opt for the 20 inch barrel. I prefer the Sierra 69gr BTHP backed with 24.0gr IMR-4895 and a Winchester SR primer. It is also my match load and groups sub MOA in a 1 in 7 twist barrel.

Jim......

9. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

Woody:

FOr Hogs let me suggest the nosler partition in 60 grain....I'm running 23.3 g of ramshot tac with a CCI #41 primer, probably could be a little hotter.....on a 20" bbl should be 2900-3000 fps. MasterPsmith I'm sure has it right but I dont know how a match bullet would perform on meat...they might be fine, I don't know.....I do know they are very accurate I load these at 23.3g as well.

The 60g nosler partitions are expensive at $20 for 50 but its not like you are going target shooting.....and they are BOATTAIL.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

This looks like a great recipe. What kind of pressures doe this have on a 20"?

I love the Nosler too, I know it is expensive, but if it make a hog roll, "Priceless". Also what about the pressures? Both loads use the IMR 4895?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  11. Sniper03

Woody,

Most of the good quality super accurate 20" Bull Barrels come in 1:8 Twist with the Wylde Chamber. That would allow you to shoot the 55s as well as the heavier bullets. Most of the good quality Varmint Rifles on the market using this barrel can get 1/4-1/2 MOA Accuracy at 100 yards. Can't beat that accuracy.

12. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I am starting to get really excited about this build. can you suggest an specific barrel, or at least a link to a manufacturer or retailer?

Thanks

13. Sniper03

Woody,

I am a little partial to Rock River Arms because I know what quality they produce. And I have had two of their 20" Varmint Rifles. One of which I still own that is a 1/4 MOA gun when the human part can put it together! But there are other companies out there that make good products also.

14. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I am working on the "Human Part." The complicating part of the "Human Part" is that I am a south paw.

Ideally I would LOVE a LH Upper and 20" Stainless heavy barrel with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

But I am also looking forward to a real "American" in the White House. When hell freezes over, right?

15. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

This is where my next tackdriver is coming from White Oak Armament
    I am going with a complete upper like the Varmint but with the lighter 18'' SPR barrel with rifle length gas.

16. Sniper03

Woody,

If you want a left hand model I would contact Stag Arms. But actually you would not have any problem with the standard Right Hand Model if you have them put an ambi safety on it. The deflectors that are on the rifles now days keeps the brass from hitting your cheek. I like the Stags but can not get use to the Ejection Port Door flipping UP on the left hand model vs Down on the standard right hand models. Don't know why it just bugs me! Different I guess!

17. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I COMPLETELY agree. All of my other AR's are Right Handed. The shell deflectors all work great and all have Ambi safeties.

I am VERY comfortable with the shooting with a right hand action. I just want something MADE FOR ME, I guess. I have the opportunity to build this from scratch and learn how all these components interact with each other.

As it happens, I am using a Stag Arms Lower so I have been on their site and SERIOUSLY thinking about getting their stripped LH upper. For what I will be using it for, nothing says I HAVE to install the trap door, does it> I see many current production models that have slick sided uppers. No Shell deflector and trap door and forward assist, so I assume I can build a Left Hand upper from Stag WITHOUT the door, spring and pin.

I am thinking about a LH Upper, 20" SS 1:8 223 Rem barrel, Low profile gas block, FF HG, Threaded for a muzzle break.

Question: What about the barrel extension? and Head spacing? If I pull all of these components together myself, what are my chances of having this all work well together?

Should I just get an assembly?

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

When you say trap door are you talking ejection port cover? I wouldn't leave that off especially if your planning on hunting w/ it.

19. Sniper03

Woody,

If you are going to buy from Stag I would just buy a complete upper. It is going to probably have a free float tube or free float quad rail on it. You will need a barrel nut wrench for the Float Tube Barrel Nut as well as a spanner wench for the lock ring on the tube as well as you should use an receiver block to hold the receiver and prevent damage while you torque the barrel on the receiver. Then the hassle of leveling the free float with the receiver and the head space issue you mentioned. 99 % of the time the head space is on the money or close. But that is also dependent that the Barrel Extension and the Bolt itself is within tolerance. Bottom line 99% of the time there would be no problem. But then there is the 1% that can have serious effects. If it were me and this is you first build. I would get the complete upper from Stag they come with the Free Float installed the Ejection Port Door and the Bolt & Carrier Assembly. And it is head spaced checked! Later when you can get all your tools together you can do a complete project. That is just my two cents!

20. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

OH this is NOT my first build. I have built 3 others, tactical types, besides this one I am planning. Brownelle's and I are GOOD friends. I have MOST of the tools needed. Hell I even have a FIELD head Space Gauge. COOL little knocker, not many people have one of those. Allows the head space to be verified WITHOUT removing the ejector and spring.

Anyway, I just finished a carbine with a SoCom stock, 16.5" barrel and a YHM free Float 4 rail.
    [​IMG]

Not a big deal to do a build, just never done a LH version and a COMPLETE from individual parts build. I know they need a slightly but big different Barrel Extension and feed ramp do dad and just not sure about working with all that and using components from several different suppliers. I can always get a complete upper, but the thought of building it all myself. Hell I am even thinking about going the 80% Lower route and have one with no SE#. MUCH more expensive, But way cool to have one that I did from as close to completely scratch as possible. Besides, just ask my wife, ANYTHING I can do that requires me to buy a new tool, is a good thing. Thank GOD she puts up with me.

As far as the Trap door, Sorry, the ejection port cover, This will mostly be benchrest/blind hunting. Hell the Hogs on my Brother's farm in Texas you can shoot from the back porch in your boxer shorts, NOW THATS FUN!!!!! He calls them Infidels, not hogs.