20 MM ammo can vs house fire

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by John_Deer, Dec 23, 2012.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I know any ammo stored in a 20 MM ammo can will be lost during a house fire. My question is will the 20 mm ammo can prevent brass and other shrapnel for hitting me or a fireman in the event the ammo does explode?

If someone finds a good link (.edu, gov) stating the can will work please paste it in this thread.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

As a former firefighter I can say ammo is nothing to worry about in a fire. Don't let tv trick you.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your fighting a fire ammo isnt the issue unless there is 50bmg or blackpowder involved. 50bmg cartridges have enough strength in the brass and enough mass in the bullet and enough friction between bullet and case to make it a mini-bomb. and blackpowder is just plain old fashioned explosive

i dont store my bp near the rest of anything i care about.

5. hmh

hmh New Member

Nssf has a youtube channel and several months ago they had a video made for firefighters about ammo. It is a non issue.

6. sirhc

sirhc New Member

It may be nothing to worry about, but the sound of it going off was enough to make you weak in the knees.
    The same with the tires during a car fire. They would get me everytime.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

At least the ammo will be in one place well in two places. I will have a little piece of mind knowing the ammo is tucked away in a can.

8. ResidentialPyro

ResidentialPyro New Member

All that ammo going up in flames, being crushed, or shot at almost brought tears to my eyes.

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I've only herd ammo going off 1 time. And that was after we had the fire under control and already took of our SCBA's. I guess because I was focused on other things.

As far as car fires. The tires would make everyone run for cover. It is easily mistaken for bumpers and shocks blowing off. Now that's some violent crap.

10. hmh

hmh New Member

11. sirhc

sirhc New Member

We were out in the country so it happened often as most everyone in the area had firearms. I remember one house that had a large collection. The house was built in the 1890's and burnt so hot we couldn't make an entry. It even bubbled the paint on the 1st engines door. It killed me to know the guys collection was melting.

12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

First hand experience here when my house burned the ammo in the can did not escape. The car in the garage didn't fare so well though.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Search redneck bonfire here on ftf. A coworker was at a party when someone threw shells in the fire. He took a shell to the cheek. Due to physics, the shell has more velocity than the bullet, and being hot from the fire, left a nice little scar. :O

14. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Same thing happened to me when I was 13 and out camping with some friends. Several 22LR thrown in the campfire by one of us. I had shorts on and a case nailed me on the bare thigh. It did not go deep enough to bury itself so I was able to dig it out. The perp got a black eye.

15. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

what would worry me about a house fire is when theres a semi-auto with a round in the chamber. when the round cooks off, it's going to shoot wherever the barrel is pointed, AND cycle the action to load another round.

This will continue until either A) the mag runs empty, or B) a round in the mag explodes before it gets chambered and takes out the magazine, and possibly the entire frame.

of course, there's also the possibility that the heat would kill the heat temper of the spring steel, and the weapon would never cycle back closed on a new round, and the rest will go off as if they were sitting on the shelf.

All I know for sure, is that I don't want to find out!! (with any of my own firearms anyway...:cool:)