20 in free float quad rail

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mchoitz, Apr 26, 2013.

1. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

What I am looking for is a 20in free float quad rail, not a normal rifle length but actually 20 in long to cover the whole barrel or maybe 18 in long to cover about the whole barrel. Does anyone know where to find one or maybe if you could machine one and I could buy it, or if there are any reasons why it would be impossible. I know I would probably have to get a new low profile gas block...

2. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

3. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I have to ask you why? I'm not sure if the threads would hold up on the barrel nut the rail screws on to. Especially If your mounting more weight on it. I assume your building a long range AR with a possible a bi-pod set up? A 15" will probably be the longest out there in production, not sure why anyone would need it longer.

4. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Good points. It would look pretty cool but you probably experience a rapidly diminishing rate of return after 15.

5. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Why? Because I'd like the look! Haha and I want to swap out my hogue grip for rails for more accessories. But I was thinking the same thing with the pressure that would be exerted on the connection point. But I really love the look of full length rails

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

im using the JP 15.5 on my precision rifle. fantastic ff tube. gets the the bipod waaaay out there for a super stable platform. the further out that bipod is the better the rest.

[​IMG]

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Hera-arms.com. Go to ar15 builder. I am sure your LGS can order for you. They also sell parts.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Your shop is a lot cleaner than mine :eek:

9. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

I'm guessing that's a 20 in barrel?