2 way radios

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by BigBizz87, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Lookin for around 1 to 1-1/2 mile range in an urban setting and woodland setting at a reasonable price any first hand experience with particular radios would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-T210R using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Jimski

Jimski Member

I picked-up this Midland two way radio set at Cabela's last year when they were on sale. Work good and no problems.

Midland LXT118VP Radio Pack

This pair of radios is a great value in a tiny package, perfect for a multitude of outdoor activities. Midland’s LXT118VP radio pack boasts an 18-mile range, 22 channels and a dual-power option that supports either standard alkaline batteries or the included rechargeable batteries. Additional features include a water-resistant shell, call alert, channel scan, a hands-free eVox option, auto squelch, battery-life extender, keypad lock and a headset jack. AC adapter included.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...95280&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104795280;cat104785380

Jim

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Jimski have you actually used these? I have similar and the range is more like a half mile.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

if you want anything over a mile in normal terrain you need a 2 meter FM portable, and the cheapest(least expensive) is north of $300. The FMRS radios are not bad for line of sight, or between two cars on the same road moving in the same direction. If you want a Better option, get some CB handi's(walkies)...at least On a Hill you can go a few miles...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Most cellular plans offer free mobile to mobile calling. :rolleyes:

6. Bobjr59

Bobjr59 New Member

As for the 2 meter walkie talkie they can be found on eBay starting around 25-60$ and if you don't have a ham license it can be opened to the murs channels which are business channels and you don't have to have a license to operate on those channels.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

An 18 mile range for a $40 piece of equipment?

I rather doubt it. I know its not you claiming that, Jimski, but the site.

Personally, knowing a bit about how radios operate, I don't buy into that.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just as an example of what I'm saying, here's one of the FAQs on this product from the link above.

If Iam inside a house and my husband is 10 miles down the road, will these radios work ok?

The Midland LXT118VP Radio Pack, item IK-270108, will have reception based on several factors. The distance ratings are based on optimum condition, which do not include being inside a building or at a long distance, if the terrain is not basically flat, with no intervening hills or trees

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the Cobra MicroTalk PR 109 2V FMRS radios that list a 10 mile range. pretty much closer to about a 1/2 mile on a good day.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Ham Radio Licenses are easier than ever to get.
    No Morse Code requirement for VHF / UHF.

di dah dit

11. TerryM

TerryM New Member

The only way to go IMHO

12. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I have the 35 mile Motorolas. Fine radios. I use the weather band anytime we have storms.The effective range is 1 mile give or take with timber.
    35 miles would be on a boat, on the ocean with mirror smooth water. Kind of like the way the car companies arrive at mpg figures. Optimum conditions.
    If they actually could be used that far I'd throw my cell phones in the can and save a couple hundred a month.

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I agree with you. In my mind the only way you could get 18 miles without a repeater is if one of you was in an airplane. If I remember correctly your line of sight is limited to 7 miles by the Earth's curvature.

14. msup752

msup752 New Member

Use caution. The government publishes my address and phone number because I have a license. A simple google search of my name gives out all my personal info.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. Jimski

Jimski Member

So far I've only used these a couple times last year before the weather got real snowy and cold. Used on my property were the distance is under 1/2 mile. When I get a chance I'll charge them up and do a test going into town in my truck.

Jim

16. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

ICOM IC-F14-05-RC (VHF) $219
    Blackbox Plus 2 way radio (VHF) $191
    Vertex VX-424 Intrinsically Safe (VHF) 2 way radio $329
    Vertex VX-451-D0 (VHF) $259.95
    ICOm IC-F3021S-41-DTC (VHF) $256.99
    these are the choices I sent up to our client after a ton of research. These are all meant to be used in an urban area or open area. UHF radios are better for being inside a large building as the signal can move along concrete and metal.

17. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

So a dual band would be the way to go then to get the best of both worlds, and possibly sacrifice some range?

18. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

yeah but they will probably be more expensive. The ones I listed have certain features I need for the field I work in like panic buttons/tip over monitors and the like and they will be used in a several block radius of my building in downtown san antonio

19. Bobjr59

Bobjr59 New Member

KK4WSZ I have the yaesu VX-170 & VX-10 I paid $170.00 for the VX-170 & $38.90 for the VX-10
    My other cheapest I got from eBay I only paid $31.00 for one and $49.00
    for the other ;) .

20. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a General Class HAM license, there was no Morse code required for this license.