2 round burst

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Cory2, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I didn't know where to put this so its here, if this is wrong please move it.

Alright, check this out

"A machine gun is defined as any firearm that is capable
    of shooting more than two (2) shots automatically without
    manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
    It is unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly
    manufacture, transport, possess, sell or repair a machine gun."

That is how Tennessee defines a "machine gun", does this mean that if you were to modify a rifle to shoot 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger it would still be legal?

As a sidenote, I have no intention of actually doing this and it is purely speculative and out of curiosity, so feel free to speculate with me. :)

Edit: The key part of that definition is where is says "...more than two (2) shots automatically..."

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Under TENNESSEE law you would be fine. Their law was written that way due to double barreled shotguns with a single trigger. Note that you can fire two shots without reloading with those.

However, your problem is that machine guns are regulated by the FEDERAL goverment thru the BATFE, under the provisions of the 1934 Gun Control Act, which does NOT define a machine gun the way that TN does. To the Feds, it is firing more than one cartridge per pull of the trigger.

Translation- you would serve time in a Federal prison, not a state prison. :eek:

This is what happens when various legislative bodies keep trying to make law on things they do not understand. There was a law proposed here in VA to outlaw "anti-tank weapons". Never mind that they are already stringently regulated under Federal law. THAT proposed law- AS DRAFTED- would have outlawed every 30-06, .308, .303 Enfield, 8mm Mauser, 91/30 M-N, etc etc etc. Poorly worded is an understatement. It was killed in comittee.

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Poorly worded to you or I, strategically worded to anyone named Brady. :mad:

4. c3shooter

Jesse- you are correct. When I spoke to my state Senator, I chose my words carefully. I asked, if it was not too much trouble, could he please take the person that drafted that legislation around behind the Capitol building, and smack the snot out of them? :mad:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

your average elected official from dogcatcher to president of the united states has the reasoning power and intellect of 2 week old rutabega. so they do a lot of stuff that just sounds good thinking it gets them votes.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cory

C-3 is right on the money with the Federal Law!

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

1,000% correct...hollowpoints are illegal in New Jersey for all but range use due to their armor piercing and kevlar vest defeating capability. :confused:

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Yeah, that's like here in Montana. We passed a law saying that the Fed. Gov. has no business regulating Montana Guns. Montana Guns being any gun which is milled from raw stock material and is not taken outside of Montana.

What does this actually mean? It means if I go buy a chunk of steel and mill out a fully automatic machine gun, Montana LEOs don't give a hoot, and won't arrest me because Montana has no law against them. But, I guarantee the BATFE will still insist they have the right to regulate automatic weapons even if they aren't part of interstate commerce and will use Fed. agents to arrest and prosecute me.

9. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

OMG! :eek: LOL!!

And they should be, those HP's just get too dang much penetration. Thank God those harmless FMJ's just bounce off of Kevlar. ;):rolleyes:

10. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I knew the reason it was more than 2 rounds was because of double barrel shotguns, but I wasn't sure if federal law trumped the Tennessee law because of the 10th ammendment of the constitution.

So either A. I missunderstand what the 10th really means or B. the government just doesnt care what the constitution says. Both are very possible lol.

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

No Cory you understand exactly what the 10th amendment means.

The problem is the Federal Government illegally uses the Interstate Commerce Clause, (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3) "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes", to claim that they have the right to regulate firearms because they have the potential to cross state lines.

12. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0246.htm

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Oh well, like I said the BATFE would still arrest you anyways.

I personally have the firing of a full auto on my 'Bucket List'. I just want to feel the thrill once. But, I have no desire to ever own one. I can't afford to feed my simi-autos, let alone an auto. :eek:

14. c3shooter

Jesse- that is an EASY "Bucket list" item to check off- there are a number of ranges that rent full autos for use on the range. Being hard headed, I looked for another way to shoot full autos- did so by raising my right hand, taking one step forward, etc. My uncle loaned me several full autos and let me shoot them, but after 23 yrs, he wanted them back. :mad: