2 rifles, which to buy

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by austin92, Jan 23, 2013.

1. austin92

austin92 New Member

I'm Trying to decide which rifle to buy next. Both in 30-06. I like the feel of the savage accu trigger over the mossbergs 2 stage but still, the 2 stage trigger is nice. The mossbergs action feels tighter and operates more smoothly but I'm ok with the feel of the savage. Mossberg also has iron sights where the savage does not. Nice so I can still shoot and learn my gun while saving for a nice scope. The savages pro's are the accu stock which has fiberglass (I believe) packing between it and the barrel supposedly helping with harmonics. I love the fact that it has a detectable mag where the mossberg is top loading only. Another thing I'm worried about is mounting a bipod to the mossberg, the sling mount is molded into the stock, not the standard "button". Wondering if a bipod will mount to that. So for the 260$ extra the savage cost I get the better feeling trigger, detach mag, nicer stock, guaranteed bipod fitment, and I feel savage makes a nicer quality feeling firearm. What's your guys opinions? Also open to any suggestions of rifles available in a 30-06 with similar features if you feel there's something out there in this price range I'd like as well.

I can get the mossberg atr for 320$

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-100-atr-centerfire-long-action/26153

And the savage for around 580$

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I wouldn't buy a mossberg rifle, maybe some will disagree but that is my opinion. When I hear Mossberg I think 12 guage shotgun, not rifle. Savage is a good rifle, some of the best out of the box accuracy comes from Savage nowadays. This is a situation where I say you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a more affordable gun I would suggest the Savage Axis over that Mossberg. I don't have experience with the Axis but plenty of folks on here say it is a great shooter for a value gun.

3. austin92

austin92 New Member

So you think since mossberg is known for shotguns that their rifles will be poor quality? Guess that could be true but don't really see a name like mossberg turning out inferior product. Are the savage axis's available with a 2 stage trigger? Didn't see one on their website and the 2 stage is almost a must for me

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I have a savage 110 in 30-06 and a savage edge/axis in 22-250 and I love both of them and marlin x7 series are great rifles to but I would go with the savage over the marlin
    Savage 110 30-06
    image-3877790781.jpg

Savage edge 22-250

image-3761670826.jpg

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

No the axis is a set trigger I would go ahead and buy the high end savage you are looking at there great rifle and you can't go wrong with it plus they are tough I beat my 110 and i never had a problem with it

6. austin92

austin92 New Member

What features do those have? Like trigger and mag?

7. austin92

austin92 New Member

Guess my link didn't work. The savage I'm wanting is the 11/111 NCSS

8. austin92

austin92 New Member

Just didn't know if I could save a little cash and be just as happy. What I was really asking I guess. You think I should stick with the high end savage? Would you take an axis over the mossberg with a 2 stage trigger?

9. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I say save up the money for the savage and yes I would take the axis over the mossberg don't get me wrong I love there shotguns but once you shoot one of there rifles you learn the true meaning of recoil but if you go the budget road look and the marlin xl7 they have adjustable trigger that feel great but they load from the top same as my savage 110 it loads from the top the axis trigger is not as bad as people make it sound the more round you put down range the trigger looses up I estimate my trigger around 3.5 to 4 pounds on my axis and thats perfect for what I use it for which is coyote hunting but the savage 11/111 are great rifle that can handle anything you throw at it

10. austin92

austin92 New Member

Man, I was leaning towards the mossberg lol. Recoil doesn't bother me if that's the only real downfall. Guess I would prefer the drop box mag on the axis or NCSS anyways. I'll look in to the marlin though. How much do they run and how would you compare it to the savage as far as accuracy?

11. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

This is my 22-250 axis and my 22 group at a 100yards the 250 is the one that hit the bulleye

image-126817037.jpg

this is my savage 110 with reloads I'm working on

image-366060062.jpg

The marlins run about 350 I believe may be wrong I got mine for 325 used but it was like brand new but the 111 is worth the extra money because they are build strong I'm looking at the savage 16 in 300 wsm and it only 478 I think the 111 should be around the same price just depends on were you find it

12. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Take a look at howa 1500, they have adjustable triggers smooth actions and you can choose your stock. You can also buy after market drop in mags for them. Most stocks have 2 forend swivel /bipod attachments. Sub moa out of the box (depends on shooter and scope of course ). Can get em cheaper than savage.

13. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I'm a fan of Savage rifles too. I bought a new one way back in 1965 called a Premiere 110, left bolt, Monte Carlo stock and Redfield Widefield 3x9 scope. I don't remember what it cost but, I gotta tell you, that boom stick is the most accurate 30-06 I've ever owned and it's for darn sure put a lot of venison in the locker too. They made them a lot better back then I think but, I've not heard too many complaints on them lately though. Keep it clean dry and oiled and it'll last you a lifetime. ;)

14. godale

godale Member

if money is no object buy the savage and dont look back. mossbergs work like they should though. they go bang and hit things. but if money isnt a problem the savage is alot better

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I guess my opinion of the Mossberg name and your opinion differs a little. I have never been a huge Mossy fan in shotguns either, I have shot them and just didn't care for them, that's not to say they don't turn out a functional shotgun at a decent price that many like, I'm just not one of them.

That said I feel it is far easier to offer a good reliable shotgun at a value price tag than it is a rifle. If you can buy a new rifle at the prices these Mossy rifles are going for there is a reason for it, namely they are cutting corners on the manufacture of that gun in some way and it will reflect in the quality and performance. I have read a few reviews on this rifle and they haven't been saying it's complete junk because as many will say if it can kill a deer it's good enough, well that's fine but I won't waste my money on a bolt action rifle that some reviews claim is not capable of MOA. The reviews I have read call this a 1.5-2 MOA rifle, that is plain unacceptable to me in a bolt action. Also this review of the ATR says it is a single stage trigger with the 2 stage feel: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/foghorn/gun-review-mossberg-100-atr/

Also I have a Rem ADL which is the cheap plastic stock with no opening floorplate on the mag, that gun shoots one hole groups with factory premium ammo, however I don't like the gun as it lacks the opening floorplate, to me this is a must in a cheap hunting gun, either a removable mag or a hinged floorplate, jacking out the shells is sort of a pain.

There is also plenty of talk online of broken extractors and firing pins and problems with the "cheaply made bolt" as they call it, possibly Mossberg could have remedied these problems already. But for my money if I get a value bolt action it will be an Axis or the Marlin.

16. austin92

austin92 New Member

Have you shot or owned one?

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

Yeah, I think I will stay towards a nicer rifle. Did a little more reading on the atr. Now I have some reading on the marlin compared to the axis

18. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Usually Mossberg does not make good rifles. Every now and then they do make a good rifle. If you can find a Mossberg to shoot I would consider it. Not because of the price but it has open sights on it. Everything about a scope is fragile. I don't care what you paid for it. I have seen them all break. At least if the scope breaks on the Mossberg you can find a screwdriver and keep hunting. I might not carry 2 rifles on a hunt but I always have a screwdriver.

20. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Of course I own one otherwise I wouldn't have offered it as a suggestion, what's yer point?