Firearms Talk banner

2 PPK/S questions

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RL357Mag 
#1 ·
Hey im new and this is my first post, I have two questions about my walther ppk/s if anyone can help.

1. This may be a stupid question but today I used Independence .380 ball ammo in my ppks and a few times I had to pull the trigger twice to make a cartridge fire. I think its just the cheap ammo but since I recently gave my ppk a good cleaning im wondering if I may have damaged the firing pin, spring, etc. because ive never had this problem before and I THINK I read somewhere that it could happen. If anyone knows anything I appreciate your time.

2. This one is quick, how can I tell who manufactured my ppk/s, it doesnt say anywhere who made it other than "made in usa" and it doesnt have the longer beaver tail of the new smith and wesson versions so I think its interarms but im not sure because I bought it used and dont remember the year, and I lost the box, manual etc.

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like either your firing pin spring is weak, or the ammo you used has hard primers. If it doesn't do this with any other ammo you have your answer. I doubt you damaged the firing pin/spring since these are non-removeable during standard cleaning on a Walther PPK/PPK/s. I have a Walther clone made by FEG and imported by KBI back in the mid-90's. It is an exact copy of the Walther and I cannot access the firing pin/spring without a complete disassembly - soemthing I wouldn't attempt...firing pins are generally either broken or bent - in either case they will not work at all. Yours works sporadically which indicates either ammo or weak spring. Unless youleave it cocked all the time I doubt it's the spring. As far as identification, it should be stamped on the right or left side of the slide. Can you post a pic?

#3 ·
thanks, I think its the ammo, I didnt disassemble it further than field stripping it, and I havent had the problem before but I was just curious if it was possible. And I cant upload a picture today but thats not too important anyways just something ive always been curious about. Thanks for your help and ill try a few dozen rounds of another ammo next time.

#4 ·
thanks, I think its the ammo, I didnt disassemble it further than field stripping it, and I havent had the problem before but I was just curious if it was possible. And I cant upload a picture today but thats not too important anyways just something ive always been curious about. Thanks for your help and ill try a few dozen rounds of another ammo next time.
For years I have used MagTech .380 Ball ammo in mine - It works flawlessly - for carrying I use Speer Gold Dot HP ammo - it doesn't jam.
A friend of mine bought a brand new Winchester Mod.94 AE Carbine that did what you described. It would only shoot Remington ammo, which has soft brass rimer cups instead of the steel or nickel plated primers. His firing pin spring was not strong enough to set-off the primers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.