Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys. I did it. Officially popped my cherry and got a 1911. I got to say. That gun feels great in hand. Only gripe is the wobbly trigger it has. Is there anything I can do to fix this. It wobbles up and down and side to side alot. Feels sloppy. Is that normal or do I need to bring it to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Make and model?

·
Administrator
9,306 Posts
Well guys. I did it. Officially popped my cherry and got a 1911. I got to say. That gun feels great in hand. Only gripe is the wobbly trigger it has. Is there anything I can do to fix this. It wobbles up and down and side to side alot. Feels sloppy. Is that normal or do I need to bring it to a gunsmith?
Doesn't sound like anything normal to me. Gunsmith time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sometimes a trigger can come out of spec, if you know 1911s really well you can replace the trigger. if not i would either send it back to the manufacturer or take it to your local gunsmith. who is the manufacturer

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I thought. It just feels like a trigger should not be that wobbly. I know nothing about 1911's though. I'm going to bring it in to a smith to check it out when I get a chance.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's what I thought. It just feels like a trigger should not be that wobbly. I know nothing about 1911's though. I'm going to bring it in to a smith to check it out when I get a chance.
Is there a set screw? you could tighten it a few half turns and dry fire to check it, like a carburetor fuel mixture screw, ya know?

·
Retired
13,597 Posts
Be careful with setting the set screw. If it has the series 80 setup, you can cause more problems.
The adjustable trigger adjusts overtravel only.
The series 80 setup uses that overtravel to work the firing pin plunger.
Setting the set screw incorrectly can cause the plunger to get "nicks" from the firing pin and can create a "no-fire" situation when you need it most.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Be careful with setting the set screw. If it has the series 80 setup, you can cause more problems.
Setting the set screw incorrectly can cause the plunger to get "nicks" from the firing pin and can create a "no-fire" situation when you need it most.
My noob advice sucks, this is better.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Every 1911 I've fired has had some play in the trigger.

I could see this being unusual to a DA pivot trigger shooter.

·
Banned
0 Posts
according to the owners manual mine came with, the R1 uses a Series 80 style system.

most 1911's do have some amount of play in the trigger, just due to it's design.

but to be on the safe side, you might have a competent gunsmith check it out to make sure it's not an excessive amount of play in it. if it does, send it back to Remington for warranty repair.

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
...and on a POSSITIVE note...you're no longer a FAN BOY...:)

Now, just drop GLOCK from your screen name and it will be official. ;)

Tack

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot to mention it is not brand new. It was used. There's barely any wear on it at all. I don't know how warranty's work with used firearms. And I don't know squat about 1911's.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It doesn't mess with the function at all just makes it feel cheap. Ill post pics of it tomarrow when I get a chance also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts