1st time out with the 458 SOCOM

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Txhillbilly, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

This gun has been a learning experience.

[​IMG]

I put the heavy buffer spring in the buffer tube when I put it together,and then found out the rifle wouldn't cycle with it.So I put the stock spring back in,and everything worked fine.

The Bad thing about this caliber is the lack of any factory published Load data.
    There is some data on the internet,but it's not where you really want to start in general,but when that's all you have,you just have to start out low,and hope nothing blows up or breaks.

To start with,I chose to use the Remington 300gr JHP bullets.They're easy to find,and one of the cheapest bullets that you can load for the 458.
    I chose to use 4 different powders for this bullet.
    Lil Gun
    H110
    H4198
    Reloader 7
    I loaded up 5 test sets of 3 bullets for each powder.

[​IMG]

I intended on sighting in both the Eotech,and the scope at the range but when I arrived,the local prison guards were trying to qualify on the 50 yard range,and I had to go straight to the 100 yard range.
    I had fire the gun at home with the Eotech at around 30 yards just to function test the gun,but I didn't think I'd be close at 100 yards.My eyes ain't what they used to be,and trying to see a bullseye at 100 yards is well behind me.
    I suprised myself,and put the first 3 shots with the Eotech on target,but it was about an 8" group.So I swapped out the optics,and knowing the scope wasn't boresighted,I tried it. No Go,not even on paper.

I waited for the guards to get done,and moved down to the 50 yard range.
    The first shot was at the top right corner of the target,adjusted the scope,and the next 2 shots are touching,but still off the bullseye.

[​IMG]

So I adjust the scope a little more,and start testing.
    The rifle shoots great,recoil to me is really mild.
    I was using a Mil-Spec 20rd magazine,and noticed that the first 2 shots would be right together,but the 3rd shot would fly off. At first,I blamed the shooter,but soon I saw what was happening-The last bullet was hitting the front of the magazine,and the nose was getting damaged.Enough that a couple times it stayed in the magazine and when removed from the mag,I'd have to cut a big chunk of lead off the nose of the bullet with my knife.

[​IMG]

Continued-

2. Txhillbilly

After I noticed the Magazine problem,I grabbed a P-Mag out of the bag,and tried it.I didn't have any problems with the P-Mag.

I think I found several loads to try out in these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shot the first rd of the last set with Reloader 7,and the bolt stuck half way open. What the hell!
    I start looking at the rifle after dropping the mag out,but everything looks OK,I pull the charging handle,and nothing.Well range day is over,now I'll have to go home and take it apart and see what happened.

Continued-

3. Txhillbilly

Picture of the stuck bolt-

[​IMG]

So after getting home and taking this gun apart,I notice that when I'm removing the recoil pad screws,the buffer tube is loose.I pull off the Ace stock,and freely turn the buffer tube off.
    As I tilt the buffer tube downward,the buffer/spring and a small spring all fall out on the table.I know by looking at the size of the small spring,it goes with the little buffer stop,It isn't there.I look inside the receiver,and it's wedged under the bolt.
    No biggie,after looking things over good,I just whack the back of the bolt with my hand.The bolt goes forward,and the buffer stop falls out of the magwell onto the table.
    Nothing was damaged or broke.I reassemble the gun,and put a little Loctite on the buffer tube this time.I've never had one come loose before.

I also modified a couple of the Mil-Spec magazines,and I'll see if this problem is fixed the next range session.

[​IMG]

Just like any new shooting platform,there will be a learning curve. THB

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Excellent range report, thanks for sharing.

Liked everything except the part where you slapped a non bore sighted scope on the rifle a squeezed off rounds at 100 yards. :eek:

I'm sure you had great wide backstops and all but still. Sending a round without being absolutely certain that it will be on paper is, IMHO, unsafe. You should have waited for the 50 yrd range to clear and asked for help bore sighting your scope if you unfamiliar with this operation on the AR platform.:)

Not trying to flame you at all and loved the pic's, one of the better range reports I've seen posted here.

Please keep up the interesting threads.:)

TACK

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great report THB.

Keep that load data handy. I plan on rolling some when the temp cools down some here.

The only issue I had on my first outing with the 458 was to my wallet! I was shooting factory loads and as I approached $200 in spent brass I decided I'd had enough SOCOM fun for the day.

I had the most luck with the SBR 350 GR FMJ moly. When I went to the 300 GR JSP I started to see some feed issues.

I also found the recoil to be "mild" or certainly a lot less than expected from this AR Thumper.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Nice report TX. Nice stick, I had seen the original pics you posted with the Ace stock and put one on my AR, solid as hell and lighter than the A2 I had on there.

One comment about that round, looking at the size of the holes in the target I wouldn't get too caught up in perfectly zeroing the scope...DAMN! :eek:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

good report :)

i cant remember if you were the one i sent socom load data too or not. if not i got about 6 files the inventor of the socom sent me that he uses to load his rounds. according to him its the data the factory rounds are loaded to.

i use hornady 350grn round nose soft points in my loads.

8. Txhillbilly

Tack,I'm sure to someone that is new to this forum,someone saying they are shooting a non boresighted scope may seem stupid.
    I guess I chose my words wrong in the thread.The scope was visually bore sighted with the bore,but since a scope that is on an AR platform sets way above the centerline of the bore,a conventional boresight tool doesn't work.

I also stated it wasn't on paper (target),it wasn't,but it was on the target board.The shot hit about 4" high and right of the target.
    Since I didn't want to waste test rounds sighting in the scope,is the only reason that I moved down to the 50 yard range.
    If you would have looked at the sight in target pic at 50 yards,you'd see that the scope wasn't that far off.

I hate explaining my actions,but I do understand your concern.
    For what it's worth,I've been shooting guns about 40 years,and have been handloading for about 30 years.
    I think I have a good grip on what I'm doing,when it comes to firearms. THB

JonM,Yes you sent me the PDF load data,I thought I had thanked you for it when you sent it. I already had all of that data,it was very useful.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Wow, lots of assumptions here.

You assume that THB is not experienced with the platform, and you assume that the 50-yard range was really close to the 100-yard range.

THB is one of the most experienced shooters on this forum, and I can personally attest to the fact that safety is priority one for him in all shooting situations.

Plus, the man really know his $hit when it comes to guns.

But we all know what can happen when you assume.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

np you did my memmory sux at times. just got back today from driving home from new hampshire

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a great report, lots of information there. Thanks.

12. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

i enjoyed reading your range report and i must add, never nice ar and nice shooting.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

TXHill

I could tell from your shot groups that you know exactly what your doing. I was not so much trying to call you out on the non bore sighted scope as I was trying to get you to clarify.

As you and I both know, black rifles are all the rage and the majority of folks breaking them out at my range have very little experience with them. Just about every Sunday, "our 1 open to the public" day, we get a guy wanting swap his cqb sight for a longer range optic right on the 100 yard line and then commence to shooting. Like many ranges our has had residential encroachment over the years so were all very concerned with ensuring that no rounds leave the facility. We politely steer these fellows up to the 25 yrd range to make sure there on paper before allowing longer distances.

Your clarification is appreciated.

TACK

14. Txhillbilly

Tack,

No harm done. I was tired when I wrote this thing up,and didn't choose my words wisely.

THB