1st Time at the Range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by knfxda, May 20, 2011.

1. knfxda

knfxda New Member

First post, so here's my intro: New to Guns, New to the Board.
    -----

So, I bit the bullet (yeah, sorry for that) and decided I'd go shoot for the 1st time ever. Went to Palm Beach Shooting Center, down here in Lake Worth, FL. They offer a one-one-one, 30-minute get-you-on-the-range-without-killing-yourself-or-anyone-else safety class. Or more properly, their Basic Handgun class.

Really glad I did all of the reseach that I did prior to going. All of the safety and gun familiarity stuff was like a review of what I already "knew". The instructor, Shannon, was a great. Felt right at ease with him immediately. We did the basic 4 safety rules, parts of the gun, handling the gun, siting, releasing the mag, loading and unloading, clearing jams, etc.

On the range, I shot the 3rd-gen, full-size, 9mm Glock (G17). Was absolutely surprised at how loud the raport was of handguns even with cans on. (Mostly the shots of those around me moreso that the G17, but even that was louder than I had anticipated.) Next time I will def. put in earplugs under the over-the-ear protection.

Here's my 1st 25 shots. I'm very happy with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

That is really good, especially for a first timer. What distance were you from the target?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't think that target will be getting up for more; it is destined for the recycle bin.

4. knfxda

knfxda New Member

1st 5 shots were at 15'. Instructor then put the target back to 21'. The next 20 shots were at 21'. 4 of the shots that were in the white were at 21', when I was instructed to shoot 5 quickly (although quick is a relative term, but I really didn't re-establish my site picture on those five.

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

That's some very good shooting there my friend. Now, take a CPL course and get your license to carry.

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Congratulations on your first range trip! Are you an addict yet??:rolleyes:

7. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Absolutely! :D It's like doing CrossFit for the 1st time. You're like -- WHY didn't anyone tell me about this before? This is frickin' awesome.

I'm actually quite surprised at how "fatiguing" shooting 50 rounds was. My strong hand feels like I did a hard session on a heavy bag and my forearm is a bit taxed. I'm obviously using a bunch of small muscles in a way that I've never used them before.

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Congrats on your first shooting experience...now you're hooked. :cool::D-<evil laugh>

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! :cool:

10. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Def. on my mind, but I think it's going to be a while before I feel proficient enough for that. I still plan on getting the CCW, but I'm not sure when (or if I ever will) feel adept enough to actually carry.

I'm already signed up for another 3.5 hr Basic Hand Gun course at Shoot Straight - West Palm Beach. I had already signed my wife and I up, but I couldn't wait (it's not until 6/1), so I "cheated" on her and went on my own today.

Believe it or not, it's actually our Anniversary gift to each other. We're going to spend our 6th anniversary slinging lead! Yehaw! :p

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I guess you might as well pony up for a supporting membership now. :rolleyes:

12. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You two love birds want to try out some different firearms find your way down to Pompano Beach and I'd be glad share some hand gun/long gun experiences with you. Anything from .22lr up to 458SOCOM.

[​IMG]

Thats a small sample of what you can try.

I'm always up for some range time.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Awesome!! :D

I think you broke the record for fastest Supporting Membership!!! :D

15. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

A new shooter, Great! Just wait till you shoot a 1911, :D

Hey great stepping up, Just for that if your ever near Tampa, Florida I'll treat you to a range trip :).

16. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

What about me? :p

17. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Heck, I'll take you the the range too.
    Some of the best shooting sessions I've had are with forum members.

18. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Hope you guys have long memories. I'm likely to take you up on this at some point.

dnt does deserve some love. He did throw down the gauntlet, after all.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am a new shooter, too. The first time at the range was an incredible adrenaline rush I will never forget. An hour or two of shooting leaves me pretty tired, too. Like you, I was surprised at how tired my arms were after shooting.

I live in Illinois so I can't conceal carry, but like you, I'm not sure when I'd be ready to do that. For me, it's not so much adept at using the gun, it's the mental mindset and ability to make a quick judgment, etc.

I wish you and your wife many years of happiness together and a lot of fun days at the range.

Let me also add if you ever can fit it in to your schedule, please do take up the offers of the other forum members to go shooting with them. I've been a member here less than a year but I have met and gone shooting with several members here. Not only was it a great time, but I was treated like royalty and I can't tell you how much I've learned while shooting with other members here. I asked hundreds of questions and I've gotten to shoot many, MANY different guns by meeting with others from here. Everyone here is very intent on sharing their knowledge. I guarantee you if you can meet with any of those members who offered to go shooting with you, you will have a wonderful time, learn a lot, have a new friend and you'll never forget the experience.

I almost forgot to mention that is some excellent shooting for the first time at the range. I am very impressed!!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  20. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Congrats on your first time out. Nice shooting and glad to see you had fun.