1st Real Handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sooie, May 13, 2010.

1. Sooie

Sooie New Member

So I've owned an older .38 s&w special but I had bad vibes from it and got rid of it.

Now I'm coming up on my cc class and would like to get a nice gun. Price was big and quality was also a concern.

I'm down to 2 guns I really want;

kel tec pf9

glock 23

recoil doesn't bother me. I'll eventually have both guns but am back and forth on which to get first. The pf9 is cheaper and would be easier to get at a later date. The glock is about 520 new and I'd have to make pay it out.

I shoot often enough to get good with a weapon.

Do I get the glock now while i have 75% of it paid for, or take the daily carry and price of the pf9 with cash left over for a steak dinner?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Have you taken a look at the Sigmas? Very similar to the Glock with a nicer feel. IMO. Plus a lot less. If the Low Price and Trigger scare you away, try an M&P.

3. Sooie

Sooie New Member

I'm also a big fan of the xd40 service. It's also an option I've considered

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. Sooie

Sooie New Member

i have seen the sigmas. its just not me. a friend has both calibers and loves them. i just cant see myself having it forever. i want something ill want forever lol. im trying to build a solid collection. the more i think about it, the more other guns pop in my head. ill probly have 400-500 -/+ to work with.

here are some that im thinking hard about;

PF9 - bc of the ease of carry, ease of use, and unlimited cheap ammo supply.

XD 40 4 inch service model - solid round, and sweet gun.

Glock 27 - imo cheaper than the mid size glock .40 and smaller.

Glock 26

i will eventually aquire each of these, but im thinking really hard about the pf9or XD compact or not compact. this is a very tough decision as it will be my first "big" gun purchase to carry/have. im excited. lol its like getting your 1st tattoo, the anticipation kills you, then the addiction sets in. :D

5. Shihan

What about the M&P, May as well through more choices, all the more fun when you go out to the Gun Shops. Variety is the Spice of Life.

6. Sooie

Sooie New Member

Yeah I'm excited. I'll give it a look.

7. utf59

utf59 New Member

If budget is an issue, maybe you should give a look at more 9mm models. Any of the Glock, XD or M&P models are excellent, at least in my experience (can't say one way or the other about Sigma). Prices vary somewhat from one area of the country to the next, so what's cheaper here may be more expensive there.

I think you'll enjoy longer days at the range more with a gun that's bigger than a PF9.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Have you shot a PF9? KelTec has a pretty solid reputation for making quality, affordable carry pieces...but those same weapons are often unpleasant to shoot at the range. They're built for portability and concealability, with comfort way down on the priority list.

I'd tend to recommend a compact the size of a Glock 19/23...or similar XD, M&P, etc. These guns are framed small enough to carry, but big enough to enjoy extended range sessions.

I like the XDs best, personally. But one nice thing about the Glock 23 is that you can pick up a Lone Wolf barrel for about $100 and add a caliber such as 9mm or 357sig. Just something to consider then you're on a budget.

I'd see nothing wrong with the KelTec itself. It's just that it might not fill the multiple uses you'd desire during its tenure as your lone handgun. A compact Glock or XD probably could, however.

9. Sooie

Sooie New Member

As expected, solid advice.

I wanted the pf9 because of it's size and uniqueness. I've never shot one, just though it'd be great for carry. However I do love to shoot.

Updated choice list;

xd40 service model or compact (still dnt know)
    xd9

glock 26

Glock 23

Now. Caliber. Leaning toward a 9mm in glock or .40 in xd.

No it doesn't matter but it's a big decison to me lol

10. Shihan

If those are your two choices and I couldn't sway you over to the M&P, I would say go with the...the...the X...X...,I can't say it. Go with the XD, there I said it.:D

11. WDB

WDB New Member

I would pick the XD over a Glock, all the same I don't own either and no desire to have either. You expresed it's like your first tat. So make it right and go shoot a M&P, otherwise your going to be stuck with something you regret latter IMHO.

12. Sooie

Sooie New Member

also would like to mention that im a big guy, and have fat hands and stubby fingers :D

13. Shihan

Ever wonder why most murders in Arkansas go unsolved?

All the DNA is basically the same and there are no Dental records.:eek::D

M&P

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Now that was funny, Shihan! :D

Sooie, have you looked at used pistols? Maybe your $ will go farther that way. I'm a older guy so will suggest a single action instead of double action but I know most recent pistol are DA or DAO.

9mm will be much cheaper to shoot of course and decent defense loads can be found - but the 40S&W makes a bigger hole.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It's really hard to go wrong with any of the guns you've listed, or the calibers for that matter. These are simple, durable, and reliable guns. They're also easy to resell for 80-85% of the new price, provided you take good care of them.

9mm and 40sw are both proven defense rounds, affordable to practice with, and just all around good utility rounds (which would also describe the guns in question).

Now it's just a matter of figuring out which one you like best. Do that, and you won't be let down. Really, the same could be said about almost any poly pistol in the $400-700 range (Sig, CZ, FHP, M&P, etc). These are simple, versatile, and utilitarian by design, which can be a real asset for first gun.

16. tieler

tieler New Member

yeah id go with the XD also prefering the larger round to stop people. i dont know why everyone likes the 9mm, theyre a blast to shoot but when it comes down to personal defense i want the weapon with the most stoppin power, that might just be the redneck in me but the bigger the better!! :)

17. jbd

jbd New Member

I think you should shoot the M&P before you make your purchase. I bought mine back in jan.10 and have been very pleased. I have put about 1000 rounds down range with no trouble and as far as poly handguns go it feels like it was made for me so at least give it a look. good luck happy shooting.

18. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Easy if you are using for concealed carry. Glock 26. Summer it's small get a pierce grip. In winter use the G19 mags with the sleeve and u have 15+1 comfort in a small package. The 9 is cheaper and more avail than the 40 and imo more accurate...

19. Sooie

Sooie New Member

i am a fan of the 26 and 19.

will eventually have both.