1st Range trip with my M&P 40

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by SSGN_Doc, Apr 5, 2014.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

So, I made it to the range today for the maiden voyage of my M&P 40.

[​IMG]

I tried 5 different varieties of ammo and it ran without flaw. Of the loads tested today, all were shot offhand at 30 feet. Most were shot for function but I kept a few targets that were shot for accuracy and drills. Here are the loads tested:

[​IMG]

The Speer, Gold Dot 180gr surprised me by stacking rounds and then I finally threw my first flier with it on my "Accuracy target". I'm still getting used to this trigger. But that is 5 rounds with two making one slightly elongated hole, and one low shot from my poor trigger control.

[​IMG]

Hornady 165gr Zombie Max (Same as the Critical Defense loading) didn't do badly either.

[​IMG]

The silhouettes were mostly shot as controlled pairs, or as fast asI could get back on target. All rounds seemed fairly well regulated with regard to point of aim being close to point of impact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall impressions are very favorable. The sights are easy to distinguish, and were on target out of the box. It digested 240 rounds of mixed ammo, from 165gr FMJ and HP, to 180gr FMJ and HP ammo. I still have to find some 135 and 155 ammo to try out. For all of the reports of .40 S&W being a snappy round, the M&P seems to be very comfortable and controllable. The interchangeable back straps, low bore axis and polymer frame construction go a long way in making this a very comfortable gun to shoot. There were three other shooters at the range who varied from quite experience in IDPA, and IPSC shooting to a military member with a variety of guns including a Beretta PX4 at the time, to a novice shooting his first gun (a Ruger LCR). I let them each run a 10 rounds and they also found it very comfortable to shoot and their only complaint was with the trigger, but they all made decent hits despite the trigger complaints.

So, All-in all I'm pretty happy with the purchase and the first outing with the M&P. The trigger will either take some getting used to or a replacement. I'll hang on to it and work with it for a while before deciding.

2. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

From what my friend and I have experienced, the trigger doesn't get better with time :p we both plan on putting the apex trigger in our guns. Glad you like it though! Congrats :)

Franklin

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I like picture #1. ... good archival photo...

4. SSGN_Doc

I got in the habit of taking pics of my guns when I buy them and getting good close up shots of their serial numbers as well, after moving many times with the military. If there is ever a disaster, a theft, or what have you I should have a good digital inventory of my collection.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Doc,

Good shooting! Looks like you have a keeper there with your new M&P 40.
    And it is certainly a good thing to take pictures of all of your guns and record the serial numbers. And store both in a secure location. I do that with all my weapons should something ever happen!

6. SSGN_Doc

I didn't figure the trigger would get much better. But figure I may improve in using it.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've read reports on triggers getting better after 1k rounds or so through M&Ps. My wife's is nicer than mine. Hers also has a lot more rounds through it, given that it was ending its tenure as a rental gun when we bought it.

Still, the Apex trigger kit is a thought I keep having for my 9c. Mostly due to the reset.

Regardless, I love both our M&Ps. Glad you enjoy yours. And nice shootin!

8. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

The biggest thing I hate about the trigger is the feel of the safety device. I hate how it pulls back a little before it starts moving the actual trigger. And it really just feels cheap, mine kinda rattles a little bit.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

That's what I did not like on the M&P, the Stock Trigger. I know a 30Yr. PD veteran who swears by it though...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I am the exception as the M&P I have is by far the best trigger of ANY striker fired handgun I have ever used and I have shot MANY different Glocks and most of the other 'plastic' guns.:confused:

PS: Good shooting and thanks for the review!:D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  11. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Great write up, thank you for sharing. My boss just picked up one of these and I really like the way this gun feels. I am looking forward to putting some rounds threw it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. shooter1059

shooter1059 New Member

I have to second the Apex kit for your M&P 40. I put the kit in mine and it actually has a nice reset now! Also the trigger is smoother and lighter.
    As far as your M&P 9 goes, the main problem with that gun is the extractor. If you use it for CC get it changed out for the upgrade.
    From what I have read, a lot of PD's are having problems with the M&P 9 due to the fact that the factory does not install an extractor designed exclusively for the 9mm round.