1st pistol finally arrived...and Destiny?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Poink88, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Finally, my first handgun arrived today and I am all giddy and excited about it.

The story, I few years ago (yes years ago), I contemplated buying a handgun. Did a lot of research and reading or specs online. I am certain at that point that my first gun will be a Glock 40 caliber (G22 or possibly a G35) but I never bought one. Couple of months back, the urge to buy came again and I physically checked the Glocks...to my horror, they don't feel well in my hands.

Went back to the drawing board, did more research and joined a few gun forums. Read a lot and asked more questions and was reluctantly steered towards 9mm (for all the good reasons). Later, gave in and concentrated my search on 9mm of; CZ 75B, H&K USP, Beretta PX4, S&W M&P, Springfield XD & XDM, Walther P99, & FN FNP9. A few were eliminated due to cost, fit, availability, etc.

Last week I ordered my pistol...a Springfield XDM-9 bi-tone SS/Black for $570. Even ordered 2 extra magazines so I will have 4 total. While waiting, I bough my cleaning kit, cleaning solvent and lubricant and last but not the least ammo 24 boxes x 50 of it from Walmart (22 Federal + 2 RWS).

Today, my FIRST pistol arrived and as mentioned above I am all excited. Everything is perfect but upon closer inspection, to my horror, I noticed it is .40 caliber and not 9mm!!!

I am not a super religious man but believe in divine intervention (or destiny?) so instead of returning it I decided to keep the 40 and have the 9mm mags replaced. Of course I also want to start playing with my FIRST pistol and don't want to wait 2 more weeks. (can you blame me?)

My dilemma is the 1,200 ammo in 9mm which I cannot return (or replace). Any ideas how I can dispose these 9mm ammo? At any rate, went back to Walmart today and start stockpiling 40 caliber ammo. Even bought 4 boxes of Federal HST online already.

I will try to post a picture soon and maybe a range report next week if I can since we will be busy entertaining the whole week. Hope I can sneak out a few hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Question...are this wear signs normal for a new (unfired) gun?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Gun pr0n plz, kthx.

In all seriousness, excellent choice. The XDm is an awesome gun, and I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it for years.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You'll have no problem selling the 9mm ammo online or in the local paper.

Congratulations on the XDm40!! It's a sweet looking polymer 17+1rd powerhouse! Nice price too!

Pictures please. :cool:

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Congrats on your first. You never forget your first. :p

You could try to sell the 9mm ammo. Chances are that you won't get what you paid, but close. Or, just hold onto it and buy a Browning Hi-Power which will eat that 9mm like it is veal. What? Another gun? Well, you gotta do someting with the ammo...:D

Again, congrats on the pistol. If you have the opportunity, take a class. The training will come in handy and extra valuable while shooting your pistol.

Other than that, just revel in the enjoyment that is the sport of shooting. :)

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Go to the range, make some shooting buddies, and sell them the ammo. I'd bet somebody would be glad to pay a fair price to dodge Walhell.

Congrats! I've been very happy with my XD45; i bet you will love your XDm.

6. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

Congrats!

Just made the plunge myself. My new xdm 9mm should arrive on wednesday.

I'm kind of wishing mine will turn up as a .40 as well.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the Dark Side. ;)

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Congratulations on your purchase! I daresasy I'll get all giddy & excited when I'm finally able, too. The XDm would be my No#1 choice it looks so sweet, but alas we can't have a barrel length that short legally here...so you have my envy!

Will look forward to the pics & report :)

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Congratulations. You will be very happy with it.

10. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

The gods has intervened. I would not be complaining to get the 40. That is a really nice gun. You shouldn't have a hard time dumping the 9mm ammo. And who knows you may get a 9 in the future. Guns are addicting.

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Pictures added.

Question, are the wear signs normal for a new (unfired) gun?

Thanks.

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

It HAS been fired (You may have received a spent casing in an envelope with the gun), and while I didn't take pics, I had the same question when I bought my XD 9. After several thousands of rounds, there are some shiny spots on the barrel, but nothing that would qualify as wear.
    Enjoy your Croatian Sensation!

13. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

That thing is just downright purdy, isn't it? I'm waiting on paperwork and hoops to get mine now (yay CA).

14. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

It sure is and it is worth the hassle you are going through to own one. ;)

15. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Congratulations, vato! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I had those same marks on my XD when I first bought it. They're probably from people asking to look at it in the store and playing with it a little (that's what she said).

16. orangello

orangello New Member

LOL! smirkin'

17. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Between this comment and your Avatar, I think I am starting to know you. LOL :D;)

18. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Haha, like Richard Pryor said, "What ever the f*ck makes people laugh, say that sh!t."

19. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

poink - that is a nice first foto of your XD

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Nice gun. Shoot it until your arm falls off and then shoot it again. I also had those markings on the barrel of my XD when bought new. You won't be dissapointed with the .40 at all where I live there's only about a $3 price difference between it and 9mm. Unless you need the money badly, I'd hang on to the ammo. ;)