1st Gun

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by 3BoysDad, Aug 14, 2010.

1. 3BoysDad

3BoysDad New Member

All right folks, I just joined the group and have my 1st question. I have been a life long shooter, and also am an MP in Afghanistan. My oldest boy will be 11 next month and I want to get him his 1st gun. I am partial to the 10/22, but is there something better out there for a kid who can shoot well, but still is too new to shooting for a larger caliber long gun? My 1st was a Remington Model 80 single shot my Granny gave me when I was 7. Still have it, but my boy deserves something a little better quality. Any suggestions?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Mods are fast. Any way like I said.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think a bolt gun is better for a first gun.

Slows them down and allows them to develop skill rather than make noise.

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'll agree with Cane on the bolt action, With a semi auto it is very tempting to pop off rounds as fast as you can.
    While there's nothing wrong with that, it does seem like it would make it harder to teach someone to shoot with such a temptation.

May I suggest something like a Marlin model 925, or Winchester Wildcat?

5. 3BoysDad

3BoysDad New Member

Good point. I always enjoyed shooting an old Marlin bolt action my mom had as a kid. Joseph actually looked at a Marlin bolt action he found on GunBroker.com so maybe I should listen to what he wants too. Thanks to all of you who have given me opinions. It really helps.