1st Gun Purchase

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dslmac2, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Excited about owning a handgun very soon. I have about $600 to spend. My other Tread I talk about Walther PPS which I really like, can't decide completely between 9mm or .40 cal. But here is my current searching for first gun results:

Sigg P220R Compact - $800
    Taurus P10 - $498
    Glock 36
    Glock 27 4Gen - $
    Kel-Tec PF9 - $285
    Walther PK380 - $379
    Walther PPS - $560
    Springfield XDM Compact - $710
    Kahr CM9 - $517

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I notice these are all small carry guns. Do you plan on getting a permit and carrying concealed?

Perhaps you should start with a larger framed handgun to build skills and buy a carry gun 2nd (very quickly).

Out of your list, then, I would suggest the XDM compact, which sort of rides the line between the two.

And last bit of advice...pick a caliber FIRST. Then pick a firearm. .390acp? 9mm? .40S&W? .45acp? All 4 are there...

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

40 vs 9mm is a decades long debate that is not going to be solved by the time you purchase your handgun. Just plan on eventually owning both and flip a coin.

4. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

You should look into the Walther PPQ, heard nothing but good things about it and it should be in your price range. Just saw one at my LGS for 580 BNIB

5. thatguy510

thatguy510 New Member

I know that there are a lot of Glock haters out there. But, for a first time buyer, you cannot get a simpler and more reliable firearm. I am a 1911 man but I have owned two Glock model 23s (that's a .40) and I would recommend that as a good starting point for anyone.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Buy whatever caliber you like.

Note the guns in red. Personally, I'd steer clear of them...for now at least. For a first and (initially) only handgun, I wouldn't recommend a micro or a 380. They're just not terribly versatile pistols and may very well minimize your skills. But medium compacts (like the P220) and even some subcompacts (like Glocks) can handle as well as full sized pistols for some people.

By no means am I stating that any gun on your list is a bad gun. But I simply wouldn't consider those in red to be ideal first/only pistols.

7. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

A Ruger LC9 or SR9c would be a good affordable choice. 9mm is adequate and cheaper to shoot.

8. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Well, thanks everyone. So far, I thought I was on track but I guess I need to think, fell, hold & shoot a few more different sizes. I was just thinking that since I will have my CCW that I should get something compact (not super compact) being that I can only get one for now. I do think now that I will go with a 9mm over .40 mainly because of ammo being a little less expensive, and I plan on shooting a lot, and training a lot. So 9mm it is, now to figure out which one.

Oh, is it good/bad/okay to get a good used gun? What if I found a good "something" that is to expensive new but they have it used for my price range.
    What are things to look at in a used gun to make sure it will last or has not been beaten up to bad on the inside?

9. 1HotMama

1HotMama New Member

I just bought my first one, a Glock 19 9mm. Before I bought it I narrowed down my choices and shot 7 different pistols in the same caliber. I highly recommend finding a range where you can rent a few to try. I love my Glock and couldn't be happier with my choice but I did my homework first.

10. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I second the Glock 19......a nice, dependable all around handgun. :)

11. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

One thing I will say about the Springfield is looking at the standard XD and not the M. The M does have the upgraded barrel, sized backstraps, and not having to dry-fire to field strip but the standard XD is still very accurate and quite a bit less expensive. It naturally fit my hand well with the standard grips so the backstraps were never an issue. I bought my 9MM service for under $500 and 40 S&W can be found equally as cheap. Just a thought...

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also suggest a Glock 19 or maybe the G26 if you find it easier to conceal. I have the same size .40S&W siblings, the G23 and G27 and have only praise for them. Something to remember, you can buy a Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel for $100 and convert the Glock .40 to 9mm (to use both calibers). You can't go the other way, 9mm to .40 though.

I bought my G27 used and have bought many other used guns. Sadly in this poor economy there are lots of deals to be found. I check them out myself and never got a bad one but if you're not able to do that have a trusted gunsmith, armorer or qualified friend inspect the gun.

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

There are pre-owned guns, and then there are used guns. You should find a dealer who knows the history of the guns he sells, and who is knowledgeable enough to distinguish a lemon from a good buy. If you can find one that was only owned for a short time, and the owner had to sell it for financial reasons, that could be as good as a new gun. Sometimes people buy a gun, never fire it, and then sell it back to the dealer. That can be a real bargain.

14. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

You should look at/shoot a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as well. Very comfortable/reliable gun.
    I prefer the M&P 40 over the Glock 23 (40cal) by a long shot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  15. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Xdm 9 is what I went with for my first and have never doubted it's reliability accuracy or quality. Glock and sig would be my other two choices if I hadent bought my SA.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I buy a lot of my guns used, and sell them when I move on. I think the MOST important factor of a used gun is its owner. A gun pretty much functions or it doesn't. If I trust the seller, and the guns LOOKS good, then I feel fine buying it.

Personally, I use a local, regional firearms classifieds that has a feedback system that I have learned to trust.

17. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Wow, I had a fun day. 4th time at the range in 2 months. Shot four different handguns today using 200 rounds, 50 threw each to test them. Now I know it is very important to shoot several different guns. I mainly went today because the range just got the Walther PPS in to rent. I have seen and held this gun and thought it would be great because it is lite weight and a single stack to carry should I want to carry. This was the 1st one I used today, 2nd I used the M&P Compact, 3rd was XDM and 4th was the Glock 26.

Surprised myself, with my shooting abilities today. Also I am very surprised that the Walther PPS is now off of my first handgun purchase list. It is a nice, but after only being able to load 6 rounds in the mag I got borned having to shoot and reload so often. Also after only 24 shots and this gun being so slim, I found the back strap cutting or rubbing into my my hand. After 50 rounds the skin between my thumb and pointer finger was sore and red. I could see having this one day but not as my first.

So, mainly today after all I have shot, I now have only three guns I think I will really like. How in the world do I pick one or decide which to own first? The Glock 26 with pinky extension, is the lightest at 20oz, the the M&P at 22oz and the XDM is the heaviest at 30oz. I like the size of all of these. I do not have big hands so all of these felt really good. So somehow I have to flip a coin on these 3 choices I really like.

Then to make things more difficult, I was in another Gun Shop later today and a old guy came in and bought himself the Taurus Judge. What a beast. But anyway, he was telling sales guy about a meeting his community had with a few police officers. He said the cops were telling him how they have seen many cases where a 9mm would crack but bounce off a car windshield and not go through the windshield. 9mm has the speed but not the power. So this has now made me think again back (like I wanted in the beginning) to getting a .40 cal. Luckily the 3 model guns I now know I want are available in 9mm, 40 cal & 45. So I just need to figure out the popular question 9mm or .40

I forgot to take a picture of the Glock 26 but here is the M&P and XDM.

image-1925950038.jpg

image-2472214679.jpg

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

If they are all the same, or similar enough for your needs, then here are a few questions to help you:

1) Does "Made in the USA" mean anything for you? For me it means a little, but not everything. (advantage M&P or SA)

2) Does saving some money on the gun so you can buy more ammo or a accessories mean anything to you? For a first gun, having as much ammo as you can afford RIGHT now is important. (advantage GLOCK and S&W)

3) Does having a larger after-market availability of holsters/accessories/parts important to you? Nothing beats a GLOCK on that one.

4) Do you just like the looks of one better than another? This is subjective and my opinion would mean nothing for you.

They are all 3 really good 1st guns.

19. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

1:38pm just walked out with at Glock 26, three magazines, loader and a case for $425. Now I am going to order the tritium sights. Do people name there new guns like cars?? My newest toy.
    Thank you everyone for your insight.

image-1069014628.jpg

20. 1HotMama

1HotMama New Member

Congrats and welcome to the Glock family lol! People seem to either love them or hate them.