1st glock, is this normal

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by expressdog01, Jun 9, 2013.

1. expressdog01

expressdog01 New Member

I bought a new gen 3 glock26, took it shooting yesterday, 150rds, it was great. when i was cleaning it on the 2 forward tabs i seen a mark/gouge right 1 is real light, left is a little deeper .is this normal[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The picture is terribly small. I downloaded it to blow it up and it is extremely fuzzy. I can't see a thing.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Looks like the right metal slide lock (?) is not embedded into the polymers frame correctly. **** like this happens when you mass produce products. This can happen with any company. Do you have problems putting slide back on? If not, if you can live with the imperfection I do not see a problem. I would return for a new one, but I am a little OCD with my guns.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I blew it up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  5. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

left click on the image if it still looks fuzzy put your glasses on:p

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Yep, the whole right side is imperfect. Shedding polymer past the metal too. Ask for a new gun.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Those are the slide rails. They can have minor marks in them from the manufacturing process when the metal insert was originally stamped into shape. More than likely after many more rounds they will polish smooth. This is one of the areas I apply some light grease. I don't know if Glock still does it. But the last Glock I bought new had a copper looking grease on the slide rails and other higher friction areas. They used to recommend leaving that grease in place for the first couple hundred rounds.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Rails look fine. Maybe I need glasses myself. I think the polymer mold and the embedding of the rail is a crap job though. Are all the Glock models looking like that these days? I do not remember my G17 from the earlier 90s looking that bad. I think I am going to take the same pic with my USP to compare polymers today.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Maybe I need glasses. I don't see any issues with the polymer. There are a couple molding flash marks. That indented area on the right is part of the shape for the recess for the takedown plate. There is a slightly thicker area forward of that, which is also just part of the shape of the frame, but would be hard to put into context from an overhead shot like this where depth is not exactly clear to our brains.

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Fair enough. More pics from different angles maybe. I am still going to do a comparison with the USP just for ****s and giggles.

11. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I have seen several posts on a Glock forum lately with people complaining about the finish flaking/scratching off of the rails on some newer models.

Most have been gen4 I believe. You might do a google search on it. You aren't the only one.

12. expressdog01

expressdog01 New Member

Thanks guys, after searching the internet, and showing it to a glock armorer, the marks on the forward rails are from the manufacturing procese, I think I will call glock usa and ask them .have to say it sure does shoot nice,

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I just looked at two of mine and one of them (G27) has a similar mark on one side but not the other. The newer one (G22) has no visible marks. Note to self: Do not install the G22 slide on the G27 frame. They don't like to come apart.

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Here is a comparison to an HK USP.

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  15. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Isn't it odd that after more than 30 years of production, 4 generations, it appears their quality control didn't catch the problem. Is this a single problem or is it a production run problem and there are more with the problem.

I would call Glock Ga.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The question is is it really a problem, or is it just a production mark that causes no problems? I mean gee whiz folks, Glocks are known for being ruggedly reliable. If you want a safe queen then get something else! I have not once seen anybody brag that they had an original unfired Glock. More the opposite in fact. More people brag about how many rounds they put through it without cleaning it, or how it was lost in the bilge of their boat for two seasons locked and loaded, but when they pulled it out it fired flawlessly for a hundred magazines non-stop.

17. mahall

mahall New Member

That's why I stay a generation behind or at least a couple of years to let the bugs get worked out!! Not only with guns but cars, phones, ect. Anything newly mass produced, usually has hidden bugs that the manufacturer didn't catch. This practice has saved me a fair share of aggravation and headaches-:)