1st ever 'range report' aka the value of snap caps

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by zhuk, Oct 8, 2010.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Got out to an indoor range yesterday, first time. The good news: gun runs fine with factory ammo so last Saturday's slight debacle was definately reload-caused.

115gr Speer Lawman - what the range sells, pricey @ $35/box 50 (!) but you have to use their stuff - now that's a handy lil earner...

So 2 boxes plus the compulsory SSAA range fee of $22 (provides the $10mil worth of third-party insurance) means its almost 100 bucks! hey what can do you huh. Pity I won't be able to afford to do it regularly - comps cost roughly 80-100/weekend as it is lol

Anyway...

First up, a typically crap grouping as I usually do. Plenty of awful trigger control there:

[​IMG]

Then - and here's the crux of my header - alternated random snap caps and live rounds (not particularly easy to 'forget' the order when you're loading it) just so I could make sure I'm not jerking the trigger...and voila:

[​IMG]

Finally without snap caps. Think I was getting a bit tired, those low shots indicative of head-dropping a bit...but still an improvement on the first grouping. Taking the view I can only get better, right?

[​IMG]

All from 10m (which should put the woefulness into perspective. heh)

One weird thing though - I had this uncontrollable blinking-on-firing happening? Never happens outdoors, did not occur here with the snap caps...I'm presuming therefore it must be noise-related? Only the 2nd time I've shot indoors. Tried REALLY hard to force my eyes to keep open but they bloody wouldn't lol

Might wear foam earplugs under earmuffs next time and see if that makes any difference.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Nice shooting! I always try to use double ear protection (when possible).

Oh, by the way, could you describe the firearm used (we have new people)?

Thanks, Dan

3. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Hey nice one mate, I know nothing about pistol shooting as you know but I reckon I'd be pretty happy with those targets!

One question, how do the snap caps cycle the action?? Or do you have to cycle it manually after each trigger-pull?

4. zhuk

zhuk New Member

OK will do in future. Many thanks for the heads-up Dan :)

And how remiss of me, sorry! here she is

[​IMG]
    M&P 9L

Thanks Aus. I can only get better hey...it was pretty close distance :p

Yep that's the pain, with snap caps you gotta rack the slide each time when it just goes 'click'. One bounced out into the lane didn't catch it in time & the guy had to get a rake and a torch to retrieve it :eek: lol

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

zhuk,

It looks like the snap caps paid big dividends, and in only one session — outstanding!

I shoot both indoors and outdoors, and there is indeed a huge difference in the noise factor. I like to take my time setting up when I shoot indoors. That gives me a few minutes to get used to the noise level. Sometimes, when I first walk in, I catch myself flinching at other people shooting. Until that settles down, I know I'm not going to shoot well myself.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Zhuk - I see nothing wrong with that shooting to be honest. You self diagnosed the biggest part of your problem and were able to cause/effect it to tighten things up considerably.

Considering this is taking place at about 33ft for us Yanks, I think your targets look VERY good for a brand new pistol.

Well done sir and THANK YOU for the informative Range Report.

JD

7. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Good job! Looks great!

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Appreciate what you say JD, in fact 10m would be one of the closer targets for us - 25m being quite usual. Alas, I can rarely see where they go at that distance. Only find out the scoring 'damage' after that fact...and often its not at all pretty :eek:

Why poppers are rather helpful - at least you KNOW if you've hit them or not straight away!

Gotta say that factory ammo is far hotter loads than the club stuff I'm used to. Must remember to get a tighter grip :D

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That looks great! I'm sorry it costs you so much money to do it though. :(

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I have no experience with M&P but I only rack my XDM about 1/2" to 1" to cock and don't have to eject the snap cap. Try if it works on yours this way too.

Great shooting!

11. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Great gun! I have the 9pro and the 9c, love em! BTW, nice shooting, wouldn't complain about those groupings, the snap caps are definitely good teaching tools to break bad habits of anticipating and "fighting" recoil.

12. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Indeed it does! I do this for home dry-fire practice, but thanks for the suggestion Poink.

Just had to eject each cap fully in this instance, as I was using alternating live rounds :)

13. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Zhuk that is great I bet you had an awesome time!!!!:D

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice shooting, all targets. The M&P is my next pistol.