1st concealed carry for the wife?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by GeneJr, Feb 11, 2012.

1. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

Wife finally came to and decided with the area were in that she would feel more safe if she carried. So we had a talk and we are goin to take her to some classes and get her a new gun. Her 1st I might add. So we decided to go shopping around to find 1 that she likes. One that fits her and 1 that she can hassle. And after 3 months she has almost totally decided on the smith and wesson bodygaurd. It's a 380 semi auto and it has plenty of safety features for her. She loves the feel, the lazer for at night and the look. Besides that a 380 is perfect for her, she won't have any problem handling it. So now to the point. We would like so info or reviews on it. What do u all think. And any other advice would be appreciated as always. Thx guys.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

My wife is in the same boat and wants to carry now, but I had to talk her out of a pink derringer that she saw...lol. I say if she likes it go for it. I don't know of any issues with the bodyguard and I love my S&W, but I would say go with Hydroshock rounds.

3. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

Definitely hydra shock. Great for inhome, and stopping some1 in there tracks.

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

How are the laser controls? I did read some reviews where some shooters thought that the switch placement was a little ackward.

5. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

Perfect placement. Exactly were ur index finger rest when you pull the gun out. 1 click on, 2 clicks flashing, and 1 more to shut off.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

My wife has a Bersa .380 with crimson trace. I'm not a fan of the firearm, but she loves it, which is all that matters.

7. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

So this may start a debate and probably has been discussed ad infinitum but I am not a fan of a small caliber semi auto (I know 380 is not considered by many as a small caliber, but I am old school :eek:) for carry unless the gun has been thoroughly tuned and the shooter has extensive practice with it. I am assuming here, and that is dangerous in itself, that your wife may not be actively shooting for any length of time. (I apologize now if I have assumed incorrectly) So I would recommend a small lightweight frame revolver as a carry piece for her. There are many to choose from but you really cannot go wrong with a Smith & Wesson for a start. The reason I suggest this is that under duress, which is most likely how it will occur, having to worry with an auto that may jam, remembering where and how to disengage the safety, activate the laser, will all become confusing and time consuming for a less than practiced shooter. The revolver is basically point and pull the trigger. The double action trigger pull will adequately act as a safety as long as it has not been modified to a less than reasonable pull weight. Again just my opinion, worth all of two cents, but good luck and hope she never has to use whatever gun you choose.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The .380 isn't considered choice by many ,but I have to say a .380 is better than no carry at all and with hydra shoks it will get the job done . I say if the ladies are comfortable and thats what they want to carry then let them. The body guard is a fine gun .

9. tchick

tchick New Member

I have a S&W bodyguard .380 and carry it everywhere I go in an ankle holster. I've put about 500 rounds through it without and problems at all. I rarely use the laser. I practice shooting at targets up close and practice point shooting with it most of the time. That's where I think I'll have to use it. The long trigger pull is the only thing I don't like about it but i've gotten used to it.

I put a crimson trace laser on my S&W j-frame and thought it was a good setup for my wife. I love it but she doesn't like the snappy recoil. What we think is good doesn't mean they will think the same way. We have yet to find something she feels comfortable with as a carry gun. Her bedside gun is a Taurus Tracker .357 with .38 special ammo. Heavy gun with low recoil. I also think a revolver would be a better setup for my wife because she has limited shooting experience and there are less malfunctions to worry about with a revolver. Taurus just came out with a .380 revolver and after it has been out for awhile and more people get a chance to review it I may look at that for my wife.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'd always say lean toward a 9mm or 38spl over 380acp if at all possible...maybe a Ruger LC9 or LCR. You get a more versatile gun, shooting a more effective and affordable caliber.

But first and foremost, she has to be enthusiastic about her firearm. And if that means it needs to be the little 380acp, then so be it. If she likes her firearm, then she's a lot more likely to become proficient with it.

11. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I can offer a few opinions on the Bodyguard.

I have one and I like it very much. It's not my primary carry weapon, but I do carry it a lot. The gun is very controllable and actually has decent sights for such a small handgun. Reasonably accurate at intended ranges The trigger pull is a little on the heavy side, and it's long, so it's not the fastest gun to shoot.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in it.

Now other opinions:

Overall it's hit or miss. My 15 year old son hates it. He just cannot get the hang of the trigger pull. It's too long and heavy for him to shoot well. Same for my 20 year old daughter. The gun did not shoot naturally for them. That would be taken care of with practice, but they would rather shoot other guns that they don't have that issue with. They love the way the gun feels in their hand, though, so don't let that fool your wife.

A female friend who is considering carrying tried mine also. Didn't like it for the same reason. Just could not get the hang of the heavy trigger and dropped it from her choices.

All three were surprised, because of how well it fit their hand before they shot it.

Another female friend just started carrying and bought one. She LOVES it. shoots it very well and is very comfortable with it.

So I would highly recommend your wife actually shoot one before buying. I haven't run across many guns where some people don't like a trigger pull THAT much. As I said, I like mine. I like the heavy trigger pull because I often carry it without a holster and so even with the safety off, I don't have to worry about anything snagging the trigger. I don't like the slowness of getting off a follow up shot, but that's the trade off.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  12. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

I agree with the statement of not being a regular shooter. And that's why classes and plenty of practice is a must. Especially if I can't turn here in the revolver direction. 2 cents appreciated.

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If your wife intends to train on a regular basis, she can use any firearm. If she is going to be a casual shooter and a regular carrier, the choice should be a revolver, and a .38 or .357 would not be a bad choice.

A revolver does not require a lot of instant actions to safely put it to use. No fumbling with safeties, no worrying whether one is in the tube. The original point and click firearm.

14. BadBoop

BadBoop New Member

I just purchased the ruger 9mm with a laser love it tell her to try shooting this one it's just a little big bigger than 380 and has a bigger bullet :)

15. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I got my lady a Phoenix 22lr HP22, and she loves it. The 22lr has more kills than any other personal protection bullet. Load it with a high pressure JHP and she will have no problems stopping an attacker. I also shoulder carry a Phoenix 22lr HP22; it is small, light, fast, and very effective.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have her look at the Kahr 9mm pistols before you jump and make sure she shoots before you buy.The Kahr triggers are very smooth. Wait until she has taken some classes and then buy. It may make a big difference in her choice.
    Make sure she can rack a slide. I have seen a lot of women turned off from semi auto pistols because of the slide. If the slide is an issue and you still want a small semi, check out the Sig P238. By cocking the hammer first the slide is very easy to rack. Some of the small 380's are brutal to practice with but the Sig is fun to shoot.
    My wife has a problem with double action triggers and does not do well with DA revolvers or any long hard trigger but she can rack a slide. She does not carry but does have a Ruger SR9c for a house gun.
    The Ruger LCR has one of the best DA triggers I have felt in a revolver.The 357 is a little heavier and would be easier to shoot with 38+P rounds. Smith is probably next but I would look for a used older one as Smiths quality has diminished. Dont overlook the new Charter Arms revolvers as their quality has come up and they have a lifetime warranty.

17. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

As you can see from the responses in this thread, opinions are like, er, noses - everybody has one.:)

I'm firmly in the camp of bigger (caliber) is better, but if your wife has decided on the Bodyguard, then so be it. If she will train on it and carry it, then good for her.

That having been said, my wife has recently transitioned from the LCP to the Sig P238, although I would have preferred she carry the XD-9SC we bought several years ago, but it ended up just sitting on the shelf - not doing much good there.

I would encourage her to use only FMJ ammo - the .380 does not pack enough punch to penetrate reliably with hollowpoint bullets. There have been numerous studies done on this issue. Here is some substantiation:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/380-defence-rounds-57280/