1st C&R purchase

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hcso617, Nov 3, 2010.

1. hcso617

hcso617 New Member

I just received a Mosin Nagant 1891/30. Made in 1935 In Tula with Ukrainian refurb mark on the stock. I can't believe the condition of this rifle, it's outstanding. Can't wait to clean it up and put some down range.

mosin1.jpg

mosin2.jpg

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a very handsome Mosin. Are the bore and throat that nice too?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Very nice. I would suggest as part of your cleaning- take a 45 or 50 cal brush, chuck it in a drill, wet it with solvent, and spin it in the CHAMBER for about 30 seconds, then dry patches. The M-Ns are famous for the "Sticky Bolt Syndrome"- usually abetted by a bit of dried grease in the chamber. Either that, or pack a chunk of 2x4 in your range bag to get the bolt open. I have a 91/30, an M38 and M44, and they all shoot better than they should. for the money, you can't beat them.

4. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

I got mine last may...

And I love it as the (second only to the best) purchase I made for the money
    in my life for a hundred $! Goober the beagle was & still is the best thing I
    spent $100 on! He lived for nearly 16.5 years! Jethro cost me $200, but he
    may outperform Goober thanks to what he taught me about the breed!:)

5. rfdallas

rfdallas New Member

Very Nice. i just ordered one for my son for Christmas. its should be delivered today. i bought 2 Mosin Nagants, 2 1895 Nagant Revolvers and 1 Cz82. i love all of them. enjoy you many purchases.

6. hcso617

hcso617 New Member

Cleaned barrel and chamber with boiling water, spun a 20 gauge brush in the chamber and throat. Ran a bunch of patches through it. Looks like new. I'm going to shoot it this weekend. I can't get over how nice this rifle is, I'm starting to understand "Mosingitis".

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Sweet acquisition!! I can't believe the condition of the wood and barrel..It looks brand new!!

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a Hex 1935 Tula also. I bought it from R Guns a few years ago. They are arsenal refurbed, Like new.
    Light ball(147..150gr) surplus shoots OK, but since the tip of the jacket is filled w/ aluminum it takes 100 yards to settle down. Heavy ball, especially Brass case Yugo(180..182gr) shoots great. More $, but worth it. I think Copes still has it. The light ball is easy on the shoulder, the heavy ball really lets you know when it touches off, but for some serious abuse try some Russian 203gr hunting rounds. I can tell you, they do some serious damage as the expand more than double there .311 inches even on whitetail. I hit a good sized buck with one. Hit a rib that it broke, bone fragments and the bullet ripped the lungs, and heart into jelly, the bullet exited and the buck had a broken back from the rib. Talk about carnage! It took me a few seconds to get over the hammering my shoulder took. Still have 1 box of that ammo left.

BTW, your rifle may be another arsenal build originally. Check the Tang! Mine is a 1933 Tula(you need to take to out of the stock)
    Your stock is pre 1935.

Edit, ammo link: http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45_139&products_id=1155

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Evidently you CAN if you have a 2x4 in your range bag? :p :D

10. orangello

orangello New Member

You guys aren't helping my self control here. Classicarms.us has a new shipment that looks great on their website; i'm debating a matching numbers one vs. a strikethrough.

Nice info on the ammo!

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Be careful. The Original Snipers they have are not true 1940's Snipers. The rifle itself may have been, but the Mount, base and scope are repro's. Makes me wonder about their other offerings.

12. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

That is a NICE looking Mosin Nagant

13. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

If it shoots as good as it looks, you've got a fine rifle. I've never owned one of these. You're fortunate.

Could you post a photo of the bolt itself? I've heard good things about these.

14. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Nice m/n!

You might find that the front sight might will need an ajustment as a poorly
    fitted bayonet will "bump it" & affect the accuracy. I had to adjust mine by
    .oo7 inches to shoot better than 1.25 groups @ 100 yards. Last october, if I
    had a deer tag I would have harvested a very large whitetail buck but I still
    have too much deer meat in my freezer, & it is illegal to fill another hunters
    tag! Pop, had a deer tag...but we were hunting elk at the time!:D