1st Build Need Advice

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Slowsrt4, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Well I finally have some extra money for another toy and I have always wanted an AR so now it the time. I think I pretty much have everything planned out but I would like you all to look over my list and please chime in with any advice.

Complete upper from Smartgunner.com $525 is a pretty good deal I think.
    16" CHF with a 14" AR15 Lite rail, low pro gas block standard FH for now.
    (what is the difference b/t a M4 and a Govt profile barrel? Also should I go for the mid length gas system?)

BCG I am undecided should I go with a DD so it will match the barrel?

Spikes stripped lower

Palmetto Armory LPK MOE grip and trigger guard - $55

MAGPUL CTR Stock and buffer tube assembly - $99
    (is the spikes lower Commercial or Mil-Spec?)

Charge rod - undecided

That should cover the basics after that Ill get a Magpul AFG, the I figure Ill throw some Bushnel scope on, I found out the other day I can get Bushnel products for the wholesale price :)

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks good to me. You left off the Bayonet.:D

3. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Forget the bayonett, where is the grenade launcher?

4. Shihan

Remember to refer to the Chart.:)

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Looks like an excellent build, Slowsrt4! I would recommend midlength and that would eliminate the M4 barrel (that has the M203 notch). A government profile barrel is fairly lightweight because it's narrow under the rail/handguard - not like an HBAR that is 0.75" all the way, it's more like 0.625" underneath then may widen back to 0.75" at the gas block.

DD makes an excellent BCG, I have one and it's finely made and thoroughly milspec.

Spikes makes a nice lower and its receiver extension should be milspec size.

6. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Haha im thinking a bayonet launcher lol.

I have been looking around researching on different sites I just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something obvious. I'm ordering the upper next week :)

7. Shihan

No need to go anywhere else. Check out the Stickys.
    There are very knowledgeable AR people here, that are very willing to help.

8. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Thanks for the info. I think im going to go with the govt profile with the mid length gas system and I will go ahead and order the DD BCG from smart gunner because he price is right ($125) and it looks like they are sold out in the daniel defense website.

9. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Well ordered my upper from smartgunner.com they are changing prices in january im sure they will be raising them.

I went with the mid length gas system. What are your opinions on this system?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Everyone has good feedback from smartgunner, though I have not personally used them. I would assume based on what I have read that you will be getting a good, well put together unit though. Haven't heard anyone reporting a real fisting from those folks, so I would imagine they will do you right.

Mid length gas system?

No real opinion to be honest. It will work just fine, though it will be VERY SLIGHTLY less accurate than a full length system. Your BCG/Upper Receiver Action is going to get a bit dirtier when shooting because the gas that is being collected is closer to the chamber where the round goes off. More powder has yet to completely vaporize and so you will get a bit more crud in your upper action.

Is this a real concern?

If you were shooting 10,000 rounds a week in a combat situation, yes. It would be a concern. If you are going to be shooting 200 rounds every other weekend and plan on doing regular maint on the weapon, no. It will never effect you.

One recommendation I would add to your cleaning procedure would be to use the pipe cleaner in your gas tube more often than what folks would consider "normal" just to keep the amount of build up down.

Once again, it's not a real concern for the "average" type shooter, but it is a good maintenance policy.

All in all I think you have assembled a great stick and it should perform well as long as Mr. Murphy doesn't sneak by. ;) Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing some finished pictures and a range report telling us how she worked for you.

JD

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with JD that the rilfe length barrel has advantages over a carbine but you did well choosing a 16" midlength, it's a great compromise. And going with Daniel Defense at that price also was a great move on your part.

There are a lot of choices making it tough to decide how to go. I also ordered from smartgunner and was torn between the 14.5 and 16" middies plus HBAR, government profile and lightweight profile. I put a lot of thought in it and finally went with the 16" LW barrel. It's a few ounces lighter than the gov't profile which offsets the extra 1.5" (actually about 1.2" when you consider the longer flash hider on the 14.5) over the shorter barrel. And when you consider the screw on flash hider vs. pinned, I can't see going with 14.5.

It would be interesting to compare my LW vs. your gov't profile - otherwise they're the same. I went LW to save a few ounces but there're many more of your style in 16" out there. (The LW necks down to .625" under the rail and stays that way while yours thickens back to .75 after the gas block.) The LW would handle better but yours may be more accurate and stay down on target. Hard to say really, and maybe 3-4" oz out on the muzzle feels like more, who knows and we gambled opposite ways.

Anyway I ordered my DD on 12/9 and hope to get it in a week or two, they're really backordered as you know. Good luck with yours!

12. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Thanks for the input. Hopefully she will be complete in a couple months. The coyotes are getting out of hand :)

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The DD bolts are great.

If you add code DDBCG to your order they are $124.

Just ordered another for a 300 BlackOut build. Cross your fingers that it catches on and ammo isnt sky high and readily available.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  14. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Well I have just notices that there are different weight buffer plugs I guess you would call them. Different weights would affect the timing a bit? Any suggestions on what I should go with it does it really make that big of a difference. Ill be going with the DD bcg .

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Id go w/ the heaviest buffer that will let your weapon cycle correctly. I use a H2 in my piston and Spike ST-T2 Heavy buffer in the others.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with mjkeat, go the heaviest buffer that you can. And that depends on the power of the ammo you will use the most, plus the BCG weight and spring strength and gas port size - and no doubt other factors. In my ArmaLite midlength I can reliably fire low power Wolf using an H buffer. Some people recommend staying with the carbine weight buffer in a middy but from my experience the H is fine and maybe even an H2.

I'm going to try an H2 with my DD upper but if it doesn't play well with Wolf I'll mate the H2 with the lighter AR-15 style carrier in my ArmaLite and the H with the DD BCG. That should make the combined weight of the BCG and buffer about the same - and both uppers are midlength.

ETA:

If I were gambling I'd say go with the H in your middy. If you're wrong at least you'll know whether you should go up or down in weight. Buffers aren't expensive so if you need another it's not too painful to replace.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  17. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

How can you tell if you need to go heavier or lighter?

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Really it takes trial and error to determine with a particular rifle. All we can do is talk in generalities and what works in our rifles. Odds are the H buffer would do fine in your AR but many midlengths have standard weight carbine buffers and do fine too.

In an otherwise properly functioning AR (no gas leaks, etc.) if your light powered ammo causes short stroking then you may need a lighter buffer. Like mjkeat said, it's best to go with the heaviest buffer that works reliably. This is critical in an auto/burst rifle to eliminate carrier bounce but not as important in our semiautos though.

19. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Okay what exactly would this gun im build be called? It has the m4 feed ramps but it doesn't have the m4 style barrel.

20. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

Well everything is ordered except my stripped lower. There is a gun show this weekend that I m:mad:ight be able to find one there. Im still waiting on my upper from smartgunner...:(