1st 1911 Purchase

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Shadow12233, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Shadow12233

Shadow12233 New Member

What is everyones opinion for a good 1911? What is the best model for the price. I have heard a lot of great things about Springfield and Colt. Which should I stay away from?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Search options on the fourm :confused:

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Depends on what your budget is

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If you research, you can find lovers & haters of just about any brand you can think of. So, like Mr. Wray says, depends on your budget.

The only one I can think of that you should absolutely stay away from is one that was imported from Llama, in Spain, with the Firestorm rollmark. Not the Firestorm recently built by Metro Arms, the Llama one. Of course, if you are going to buy new, no worry 'cause they didn't last long. They were definitely a POS & most were so far out of spec that you can't even get after market parts to fit them. Even the screws for the grips were spaced wrong.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You'll be happy with either of those.

6. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

Agree completely.

Consider Ruger and Sig as well.

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

I would recommend all mentioned already and throw in Remington R1 mine is a very solid 1911 so far.

8. Robbie762

Robbie762 New Member

I finally bought my first 1911 today, Ruger SR1911. I've been reading articles and reviews on them for 6 months now. Not easy to find, but they're out there. Can't wait to get it and head to the range!!

9. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Until about a year and a half ago, I felt that the only 1911 was a Colt,over the past year I have acquired two STI's. First was a Ranger 11 in 9mm,and the second was a Range Master .45 acp. I still have one Colt but I am becoming a bit of an STI fan.
    TGR

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have Colt, Kimber, Springfield, S&W, & Para. And of them all I'd say Colt

11. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

I just took my Springfield Loaded ($750) out yesterday and it was fantastic. Lots of other good brands mentioned here as well.

12. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

Very limited experience with the 1911. I qualified with one in the USN about 42 years ago -- I was a Corpsman, and it was our weapon of issue.

I wanted to keep my first 1911 purchase on the modest side...so I bought a new Para GI Expert.

Took it home, cleaned it, ran 50 rounds through it at a nice indoor range, no FTF, no stove piping, etc, and all my rounds managed to land in a silhouette at 15 yards. (okay, so I'm pretty NEW). Forgive me if my
    Weapon lingo isn't appropriate, I'm just getting into it again. My other piece is a Taurus 9mm PT111 Millenium Pro. Got the 1911 because I was jonesing for the meat of a 1911again!
    image-3449892976.jpg

You guys have a great forum!

13. 207driver

207driver New Member

I just shot my Brothers new Springfield Range Officer that he received only days before, he wanted the Ruger SR, but was tired of waiting. Neither of us had any recent experience with a 1911, and I'm talking decades here. The trigger was a real surprise. Crisp and light without touching any adjustments. We sent the target out 25 feet and traded off, one clip each, and chewed a ragged hole. Had to change the target after two clips each to see where the shots were going. Accusations about intentionally missing so as not to ruin the group ...well you know. Not one FTE's, or FTFs with around a hundred rounds of UMC through it. He is, needless to say, very happy with his new Springfield!

The only shortcoming I could mention would be that the sights should have an outline...had to use some white-out on front and rear to get a good sight picture. I am sure he will opt for some better sights.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012